Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Dual Range 5spd connector pin outs?

So, on the dual range 5spd (from an '89) there are 2 connectors on it, one is a 6 pin and the other is a 2 pin. I was trying to get my reverse lights working and thought i had the correct pins spliced together, HOWEVER the reverse lights come on whenever i am in gear, any gear!

anyone have the pinouts for the connections handy?

(i searched to no avail)

Sounds like you wired up the neutral switch.

This is for FT DR but should be similar:

On the 6 wire plug:

The position of G/BG is low light switch

The position of B/LR is diff lock switch

The position of BW/G is reverse (mine was actually GW/G)

On the two wire plug:

LR/B is neutral switch (or rather in any gear its "on" in neutral its "off")

All are simple on/off switches and not to ground or anything. Actual wire colors may vary slightly. Use the wire position to locate.

Again, not to restate the obvious, just to break it down. Also if you didn't get the 6 wire plug end from the donor car, if you follow the 6/2 wire plugs back up towards the rear of the tranny, you will find the switches all originate with a twi wire male end that is very common. In my case, I had several of the female ends I clipped off unused wiring.

yeah,i kinda went off of the diagram posted in your other thread and i hooked the gw/g wires (from the 6pin) up to the switch. and that seems to be the neutral switch. hmmm.

i hate winter (well.. not really!), once i dry out the garage floor and bottom of the car i'll have to crawl under it and see whats up. i disconnected it for the mean time, oh well. reverse lights are overrated! :)

xbeerd, that sounds odd. The light green /black on the two pin connector was neutral on mine. The g/gw was reverse. I got this tranny from grossgary and I think it was an 88 or 89 RX. The neutral and reverse switch are on the driver's side. The low / diff lock (for FT ones anyway) are on the passenger side. I can take a pic of the two switches tomorrow. I believe reverse was the lower one, more to the rear of the car.

xbeerd, that sounds odd. The light green /black on the two pin connector was neutral on mine. The g/gw was reverse. I got this tranny from grossgary and I think it was an 88 or 89 RX. The neutral and reverse switch are on the driver's side. The low / diff lock (for FT ones anyway) are on the passenger side. I can take a pic of the two switches tomorrow. I believe reverse was the lower one, more to the rear of the car.

if you could snap a pic that'd be great.

btw... i enjoyed the spoon feeding above. LOL.

There's nicer ways to ask for more info :banana: but it wasn't directed at you :P

Your mileage may vary but here's what I got:

This is what the connectors look like versus the wiring diagram:

DRwiring1.jpg

This one test out as the neutral on mine ("on" in every gear, "off" in neutral)

DRwiring2.jpg

The reverse was on the same side as neutral but had two red wires (same as low and diff lock, neutral had two blacks:

DRreverseswitch.jpg

If you are swapping from a 3AT you need to wire to this connector:

3attoDRwiring1.jpg

With these wires run to the reverse switch:

3attoDRwiring2.jpg

And to bypass the park/neutral auto starter situation do this:

3attoDRwiring3.jpg

Let me know and I can double check tomorrow.

Edited by Dylan86GL10

yeah, i've already got the neutral switch bypassed via the automatic gear selector unit/connector, i think i might have used the wires on the opposite side of the 6pin plug but im pretty sure they were the gw/g ones. i'll have to lift the car up to check.

Looks like you have it wired up so the reverse indicator light on the dash lights up when you go in reverse eh? I was gonna do that too. i guess its not that cool and unique of an idea afterall. haha.

i didnt cut out the connector from the donor car for the swap, we wanted to leave the wiring harness in tact so that MilesFox could use it in a future project.

I saw your sarcasm was directed at the other guy... so i chuckled. teehee.

Edited by xbeerd
editted fo fun!

yeah, i've already got the neutral switch bypassed via the automatic gear selector unit/connector, i think i might have used the wires on the opposite side of the 6pin plug but im pretty sure they were the gw/g ones. i'll have to lift the car up to check.

Looks like you have it wired up so the reverse indicator light on the dash lights up when you go in reverse eh? I was gonna do that too. i guess its not that cool and unique of an idea afterall. haha.

i didnt cut out the connector from the donor car for the swap, we wanted to leave the wiring harness in tact so that MilesFox could use it in a future project.

I saw your sarcasm was directed at the other guy... so i chuckled. teehee.

I didn't get the dash harness either so it was a lot of cut and splice. The reverse light on the dash isn't working right yet. If I ground the wire direct, it'll come on, but when its grounded with the reverse lights it doesn't. You can see in the auto switch there are two separate paths. I'll post the correction when I get it sorted out.

I didn't get the dash harness either so it was a lot of cut and splice. The reverse light on the dash isn't working right yet. If I ground the wire direct, it'll come on, but when its grounded with the reverse lights it doesn't. You can see in the auto switch there are two separate paths. I'll post the correction when I get it sorted out.

i was thinking of putting a relay in with the reverse lights and triggering the dash light separately using the indicator light ground. if its paralleled with the switch, that should trip the coil and connect the circuit for the indicator. 'SOUNDS' like it would work. LOL.

i was thinking of putting a relay in with the reverse lights and triggering the dash light separately using the indicator light ground. if its paralleled with the switch, that should trip the coil and connect the circuit for the indicator. 'SOUNDS' like it would work. LOL.

Sounds like it would work!

Don't mean to hijack, but I just swapped in a dual range from a "88 gl into my "88 DL push button. Is there a NEED for any of the plugs to get hooked up or is it just for the reverse and 4x4 indicators?

Thanks

JWS

in my case, going from 3at to 5sp D/r, no, it was just for the reverse lights that had to be wired up. and that isnt really THAT necessary but its safe to have them working :)