Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil pan gasket and Valve cover gasket replacement - what else?

the subie owner who cried leak...

i'd park on the cardboard for a few days or a week before i cried leak. that being said, that location would be the oil separater plate on the rear of the engine behind the flywheel/flexplate. (you have to pull the engine to fix it.) or maybe the cam cap o-ring, but again, wait until it leaks before you ....

if there isn't a drip on the cardboard or you do not have to add oil then there is no leak, at least not one big enough to justfy pulling the engine.

John,

Thanks so much! As mentioned previously, I have had a leak for a long time. I was told the oil pan gasket and the valve covers. I just did the valve covers and it was definitely messy in there. So those are all set.

I took a trip to pittsburgh and back for xmas and had to add about a quart of oil when I got back - haven't driven much since then.

Then....

Did the valve cover gasket work this past friday. Both yesterday morning and this morning I checked the cardboard and there is oil down on the board. I will keep monitoring it. I was afraid it may be the oil seperator from the research I did on here reading up on the posts.

But so you agree that it may be just old leakage from the brake parts cleaner and old stuff? I certainly will monitor for a week on the board and check it out. I am afraid too that when I added the oil a while back, I may have added too much. I assume that too could cause a leak. Hoping it's just left over drippage. Once my wife starts driving more this week and we monitor it, hopefully I'll have a more "true" test and less stuff on the board.

thanks again so much!!

Do you have any local car washes that are still open? If so, spray off the cross member and bottom of the engine again to remove the brake clean. Then let it sit on the card board. There very well may have been more than one leak.

I'll see if I can find one, I guess it's safe to just take a low pressure wash to the bottom of the engine from underneath?

As mentioned I was told by one shop there was an oil pan gasket and valve cover leak, and since they both aren't subie shops, they could be right on the multiple leak, but wrong on what they were.

Thanks again for all your help people - I GREATLY appreciate it. I