Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto Trans Removal, F'ing Flex Plate Bolts**** Resolved***

IRWIN makes a set of sockets for removing rounded off bolts. They only work in the off direction. You have to pound the socket on with a hammer and then keep pressure into the bolt to break it loose. I have used these several times and they work very well. now that you have the intake off you have enough access to use one of these sockets. They are sold at most autoparts stores and NAPA.

Gary,

I think I can get in there with the MIG now that I've pulled the intake (partially pulled, just removed the head bolts and propped the intake out of the way).

Why not just pull the intake?

It's really not hard.

leave the fuel lines hooked up. Just disconnect the upper EGR tube (17mm) the brake booster hose, and the canister lines.

Though really, with the alternator out, you should be able to get it with an extension and a wobble.

Why not just pull the intake?

It's really not hard.

leave the fuel lines hooked up. Just disconnect the upper EGR tube (17mm) the brake booster hose, and the canister lines.

Though really, with the alternator out, you should be able to get it with an extension and a wobble.

I did, yesterday. Didn't disconnect anything but the wiring harness and the EGR as you mentioned and propped it up with a piece of wood. Even with the alt. pulled the wobbler angle is still pretty great, or at least I couldn't seem to find a good angle.

there is enough room for a set of needle nose vice grips..........havna heard anyone say that yet.....cheers, brian

Tried that, even bought a longer nosed pair (been meaning to anyway) but no go.

So what finally worked? Probably a combination of things. I tried welding a nut to the bolt head, but I really couldn't get in there to clean things up so that didn't work out to well. I tried the "gator grip" socket in the pick below but it didn't seem to grab very well so I used the welder to build up the head a little bit (and heat it up) then the gator grip thing worked. Glad that's over with:banana:

PICT0538.jpg

hahaha, I know right? For once an infomercial tool actually worked. I was pretty skeptical but it was recommended by a reliable source so I figured what the heck I'd take the chance with the 10 bucks. I don't think I'll be replacing my entire socket set with it as the packages suggests I should:rolleyes:

Will-

Yeah, it's filled with spring loaded steel pins. Remember those coffee table toys with all the nails that you would press against your face and it would leave the shape of your face in the nails? Same idea, the pins retract around whatever shape you're trying to hold, then as you rotate with the wrench handle, the pins bunch up and "grab" the object.

It's only a 3/8's drive and I can't really tell how the pins are held in so I'm not sure how much abuse it could really take, but it got done what I needed it to do!

I used the "two putty knives and a screwdriver" method to separate the engine from the tranny and it worked like a charm. My friend that was helping me thought I was crazy and by the time it was over and done (3 minutes later) he was like "there might actually be something to this internet thing after all". :)

I bought a Gator Grip stubby ratchet and socket set years ago.

I've used it twice(the socket) in a punch. Definately has paid for itself. I've even found myself using it when not necessary on things like tight wingnuts on the lawn mower.

Cheesy but works.

Had to be a tight fit into the hole to get to that bolt though.

I thought they were junk too - then a couple of the tech's I worked with were using them quite a bit and one day I had a 1/2" NPT pipe plug that was a serious mess. I couldn't even move it with a pipe wrench. I broke a Snap-On ratchet using a cheater on it...... the large size Gator Grip with a breaker bar eventually did the job. I know a couple tech's that use them every day and have yet to break one. In the world of industrial machines, the lighter you can make your tool bag the better. And usually access isn't an issue as it so often is in automotive.

Anyway - I own them and occasionally find a use. They are especially useful for the junk yard where I don't like to carry an entire socket set - 90% of the time I'm not fighting rust or corrosion - I just need the right size socket and keeping a whole set organized in my tool bag is annoying and heavy. I take the two gator grips and a selection of common Subaru sizes. That way if I run across something that's SAE or a 16/18mm on a Honda, etc I at least have a chance at getting it off.

Incidentally - while they *are* an infomercial product - they are made in USA and it would seem that they intended to manufacture a quality product. They are sold at Sears, Home Depot, etc as well. I can totally see how people would lump it in with all the crap from China but with this specific product that doesn't seem to be the case. It seems as if this company is trying to make a decent product. I rather like it from that perspective.

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder