Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Member 82 brat

Hello I recently bought an 82 GL Brat 1.8 liter 4 speed. White exterior and blue interior. When I bought it it had a frozen motor and had been sitting in a field for 5 years. It has a decent amount of rust under the rockers and the whole battery tray area is rusted out. It came with a good running engine in the bed. Well the carb needed a lot of work and the engine I put in seems fine. Good compression in all 4 cylinders. The previous owner bought it and it was too much work for him. So I bought it from him with the good engine. I paid $600.00 for it. The brakes were toast and I got a rotor at the wrecking yard and the rear drums were frozen and I finally got those off the vehicle. The rear brakes needed cleaning and lubing only. The fronts needed 1 replacement rotor, both rotors turned, and all new pads. I put in a new clutch and new seals and gaskets while the engine was out. Thing is it doesn't really run good and the block is out of an 80 or 81 wagon and doesn't have the air valve provisions. So I cannot really hook up all the emissions. I'm getting a bit burned out on the car right now and need a break from working on it all the time.

I should have just done what I wanted from the beginning. I have now bought a turbo wagon and want to do the turbo conversion and the 4 wheel disk brake conversion. I also want to do the 5 speed conversion. The turbo wagon comes with a electric push button 4 wheel drive 5 speed, But I really want a dual range 4wd 5 speed with 2wd. I have never seen one of those but heard they exist.

Anybody got some free time and looking to get some good parts in exchange for doing the labor for me?