Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy Outback Transmission?

A friend has a 2000 Legacy Outback, Automatic with 330,000 miles on it. Single OHC 2.5.

The other day he was going down the freeway and stepped on the gas to pass. The transmission down shifted into 3 he heard a clunk then the transmission stopped driving.

I took a look today:

- Fluid is full

- TC is still attached and spinning with the flex plate

- Shift Linkage is hooked up and all gears except neutral light on the dash (the lack of a neutral light is the only missing indication)

- Shifting into any gear has no effect on RPM and even at 3500 RPM there is no movement of the drive shaft.

Internal Failure of?

I suggested getting a low mileage used trans as it already has so many miles on it. What do you think?

loud thunk - so the CV's haven't busted - like they're rotating internally?

no light flashing on start up?

did you try the FWD fuse just for kicks?

unplug the trans and see if it moves, that will tell you if it's likely mechanical or electrical in nature.

sounds like bad mojo though - but these trans should be really easy to find particularly in your neck of the woods.

A thunk and then no more go, makes me think of blown out valve body seals. But the only way to find out would be to take it apart and look or have a transmission shop diagnose. Either way that's a pretty expensive job. It could be a $100 fix, or it might need a complete rebuild. Hard to say without taking it apart.

Good used transmission time for sure.