Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cig lighter socket doesn't have power--is there a fuse?

So I hacked in an audio jack to hook up my 1st gen ipod. Just slightly modified instructions found here. I got a 1/8 stereo jack from RadioShack (P/N 274-0246 for those interested) and a small push-button on/off switch. Picture is attached. A bit dusty around there :eek: 'cause I took the pic before I cleaned everything up.

As for my question, I noticed that there is no power in the lighter outlet. All the wires seem to be intact. I am pretty sure that there used to be power there before, and I didn't do anything to it while wiring the stereo connections. Here's a pic of the wires, for what that's worth:

img1201db.jpg

Does that look about right? Is there a fuse I could check for?

post-31987-136027638228_thumb.jpg

There is a fuse for cig lighter and some other functions on the same wiring, so you may want to check to see if that fuse is good.

However, I had a situation where fuse was good, but lighter socket had no power. What causes this, is that there is a fuse link built into the lighter socket, that can blow without blowing the fuse at the fuse block. This turned out to be my problem. To repair, I disassembled the lighter socket, and bent the metal clips together to by-pass around the bad fuse link to restore electrical power.

IMO, the lighter socket design is not good, and a real PITA to repair.