Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Toyota transformation

Qman

Well, I have started the change from street/trail truck to trail truck.

picture.php?albumid=206&pictureid=1999

I installed an Isuzu rear disc brake read axle. Replaced the broken front axle. I got new poly bushing for the rear springs. The welded diff goes back in the rear. An ARB unit goes into the front.

I have a flatbed for it. I will be dove-tailing it starting at the rear tires. And removing about 4-8" off the exsisting frame. My brother has been starting a fab shop and he has done an exo on his Cherokee. Mine is next, along with skidders and a re-done roll bar for the bed.

Line lock and a new proportioning valve will finish of the brake system. Also moving the shock mounts to get a couple inches more travel.

Should work out well. Then just need dual cases and high steer to finish it off.

Ken if you are on a budget you may want to consider re-gearing your transfercase instead of adding a 2nd. Right now you can get 4.7:1 T-Case gears for $300, but if you do the 2nd case you need the adapter, 2nd case & custom front & rear drivelines... and you should replace your t-case mount as well. When I added it all up, it was nearing $800 for the dual cases.

I run the 4.7:1 gears in my single case and I love it. Its obviously a huge upgrade, and almost as low as the dual cases.

Im curious to know more about the isuzu rear axle. Is it as wide as the 86+ toyota axles or is it narrow like the older toy's?

I have thought about that as well. We'll see when I get to that point. 4.7 would be a huge upgrade over stock. I haven't done a tape measure verification but it appears to be the same width as my Toy axles. But, it is disc. It does accept the toy third member. I am adapting/merging the Toy and Isuzu brake lines. I like the idea of having line lock instead of cable E-brakes.

Yeah right now i have no e-brake at all. And rear disc's would be a welcome upgrade.

Right now Trail-Gear just offered a rear disc conversion kit that comes with pretty much everything you need (calipers, rotors etc...). My only problem is money.

I also like the idea of single t-case so I can carry spare drivelines and not need to worry about paying for another set of custom drivelines. I can get spare drivelines off craigslist for $40 all day long :)

• 2 weeks later...

So an update...

The Isuzu axle did not accept the toy 3rd. Ended up going with 4.56 gears. ARB rear diff and line locks. A bonus that I had not planned for was now I am using a Detroit instead of a lock-rite in the front. I found a slightly used one off of Craigslist for $300. Couldn't pass it up.

So, now I have better gearing and locked front and rear. Hoping to have enough cash left over to add high steer also.

Hoping to be trail ready in a month or so with the flat bed installed as well.

Edited by Qman

• 2 weeks later...