Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ejswap fuel pump/weber pump with pressure gauge?

Yo'J

Ok, 2 ?s

1st one is, will I ever run into problems with a spfi pump on my 90' ej22 swap not having enough flow? I have heard some folks needing to upgrade their pump. Is that for a turbo?

2nd one, On my weberized ea81, I have a redline fuel pressure restrictor with a 1-4lb adjustment. it doesn't seem adjustable and I have never understood why. I have a fuel pressure gauge that reads in the right zone but on startup it fluctuates alot for the first few minutes. I fear it might be flooding my bowl. I just read a post by, I think GD, who summarized that the pressure regulators need more pressure to really operate. That being said, would it be in my best interest to upgrade my fuel pump to a spfi or mpfi pump to fine tune the weber and stop the erratic pressure? If so what pump?

Edited by Yo'J

as far as your 1st q.. i have been runnin a spfi fuel pump in my 90 loyale with ej22 swap for around 10,000 miles in all sorts of conditions with no problems to report. for your #2 q.. i am not a tech by any means but my intuition tells me that regulating a f.i. pump down to the required psi to run a weber would be hard on the pump. when i was runnin a weber before the swap i had to switch pumps to a carb fuel pump, the f.i. pump was literally pumping gas out the top of my carb. i ran a regulator for the first little bit but was having issues with the carb runnin very smoothly and i ended up just ditching the regulator alltogether and just running a stock gl carb fuel pump with no return and it worked just fine for the couple months i ran like that before the ej swap. i have a buddy thats runnin the same setup, ea82,weber,no regulator,no return line, he's been daily driving that car like that for about 9 months with no problems...... my 0.02$

Thanks for your reply, I was wondering if it would make the flow more smooth as the carb pump pumps in spurts, like an old mechanical pump. I don't know the pressure range of a spfi or mpfi pump vs. a carb pump. Does someone?

I just grabbed two pumps from the JY for $7.50 so I might give it a go. It can only cost me some crimps and new line, filter and time. I got a good regulator so I'd like to see it function.

OBK, you mentioned your friend is running no regulator in his ea82, Whats his mileage? I had/have to run a regulator on my ea81 it wouldn't/won't tune at all, it was flooding my bowl.

The SPFI pumps seem fine to regulate down to Weber pressure. For one the pump is capable of 50 psi and is regulated to 21 psi on the stock SPFI system. For another my ex-boss is running one on his blow-through turbo Samuri with a Weber and a RRFPR similar to those used on the Masarati Biturbo's. It runs anywhere from 4 to 9 psi depending on the boost pressure. Been running like that for about the last two years without any noticeable issues. They are rugged little pumps to withstand being dead-headed at relatively low pressure like that - I wasn't sure it would handle it either but they are cheap and plentiful so we figured we would try.

GD