Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Engine Rebuild kit for EA82T?

Where can I get one at a good price?

Complete rebuild kit. Seals, gaskets, rings, ect.

I'm planning on buying the XT sitting in the partsyard... a rebuild later with a new oil and water pump and battery, it should be a happy little wedgie. (new exhaust and twin turbo'd too)

All of this work to come within about two or three months time.

• Like 1

Jon easy as reading

Parts slightly above cost

As for your "statement"

"twin turbo'd too"

That is a very bold statement. Sure hope it is "of fact".

Please by all means keep us a breast of the developments.

This car will no doubt have the very first drive by wire, steering, brakes and clutch.

A radical engine and fuel management system is no doubt planned to go with these TTs??

It will be a marvel of bodging, lookin' forward to the pictures.

Here's gid on ya. and hope it comes to pass

my current pay (not including overtime, which I do receive a good amount of) along with my bills...

I make over $540 every two weeks.

My current bills are $100 a paycheck towards my rent. $40 a week towards gas... and $20 a week towards spending. (CDs, food, whatever I want) I'm being more frugal now than I ever have before. LONG STORY. I used to bring in $330 a week after taxes and I don't know what happened to it. That was months back.

So... $220 a paycheck out of $540 (and I do get overtime, so my actual pay will be higher... this is all after taxes) I can save up potentially $320 or more every two weeks.

In three months I should have $320 * 3 months * 2 paychecks a month = $1920.

* Car - $350 to $400. See how much I can haggle down.

* Major rebuild kit - $200 to $250. Don't know, NEED a quote.

* extra turbo - $75 or $100

* custom exhaust needed made up - $200 to $250, nothing fancy. can get some of it made by myself and friends. the downpipe is the important part.

* new injectors - don't know what works or what doesn't, don't know what to figure.

* solvents and such - figuring high, $60

* paints - $20 just to be safe

* cam regrinds - $120 (don't need an insane grind, just something better than stock)

* staying with the 7.7:1CR pistons

* intercooler - $100 to $150

* Cu head gaskets... - $60

At most, this brings the cost up to $1410 for my project. There will be lots of little things I'm sure... that gives me roughly $510 to work with extra for injectors, pump, fuel lines, management, and whatever other little things I want.

Of course, this is just a three month idea... I could have something driveable in three months and add on stuff later.

;)

Overall concept is a twin turbo engine, with two stock EA82T turbos. XT for the body and concept car, body work done, repainted rally blue. engine and transmission painted rally rellow. intake rally blue. FWD might swap in a better tranny though, don't know what the gearing is.

Reasons for the EA82T turbos and not something smaller - If the car spools up with one turbo and two banks of exhaust at about 1500 RPM, then with one turbo on either side, it should spool up at higher than that... about three grand or so. This way I can get economical driving when I don't shift above when the turbos kick in... then when I want to slam it, get launched into the seat at three grand (or whatever).

Was thinking my exhaust could have an H pipe before the turbos and a Y after words... that way I can equalize the banks and move the exhaust back through the stock location to the back fo the car... don't know what size of diameter, but I want it to provide torque. don't care about a huge 4" cat back system.

Caboobaroo wants to make a EA81TT with two Chevy Sprint turbos, but I don't want my car to ALWAYS be running the turbos and sucking in soo much gas. if I mash the pedal and shift at 6k, I at least know *when* I'm throwing money away into my mileage.

These are my ideas. So yeah... I think it's doable. My BIGGEST concern is strength of the transmission and axles.

Sounds like a well laid plan.

Please don't take this wrong I'm all for radical mods but..

two small items you fail to mention.

1) are you planning on twin MAFs?? How do you plan on wiring them? Twin ECUs??

One MAF and a "Y" pipe??

Is this a hot wire model?

Fuel cut will kick in like now with all that flow.

Bigger injectors are fine but what about a rising rate fuel pressure reg.?

Not going to bother with idle eh?

Higher lift cam, big injectors = idle at ??

What do plan on for ignition timing control??

and the big one

2) Where do you plan on putting this second turbo?

Under the car?? It surely will be a tight squeeze in the Mast. Cyl., dist. steering gear, clutch cable ... area of the under hood??

Have you really scoped this out or are we pipe dreaming here?

Maybe you'll just use the X the bridge approach

The best laid plans......

I say "Go for it"!!

I'm considering all options. I just primarily want a fast, sleek, really cool looking car and engine.

The XT6 engine is much larger (in my opinion) and has more crap on it than an XT4-T engine, so... If room persists, I think the turbos might work in FRONT of the engine (might or might not be possible, been a while since I've looked in a XT engine compartment).

Anyhow, probably one after market MAF, and the two turbos bridging together. custom intake plenum piping needed of course... hehe.

As I said before, new fuel lines, and engine management (probably try to find a maf and ECU that are known to work together), as well as some sort of injector upgrades. So that should take car of the fuel issues. (not enough fuel, GPH, PSI, fuel cut... whatever)

either way on the exhaust part, one way or the other, I think it's completely doable.

Even if the TT idea isn't quite able to be done because of space, I'll just move to a nice Legacy turbo and work from there or something. Either way, one stock EA82 turbo and plumbing system isn't going to cut it.

I think for a long time as well the engine could stay with the stock disty, but of course get a hot coil and some good wires. Later on after I've had my time with it and I get the extra money I could do something elaborate on the spark system... but it's not the first thing on the list.

Also, for the clutch, my considerations are either a 4x4 clutch, or XT6 clutch, or a Centreforce clutch, as they have their own advantages.

For the cams I'll need to research durations and patterns to see what helps out on FAI systems. (as we know in theory that some cam grinds help NA cars but kill FAI cars)

what do you mean by hot wire model?

things I forgot and still have to price out... turbo plumbing, BOVs, and of course, what to do about the wastegate(s).

Jon, you have a long winding road to travel ahead of you.

You talk like you are up to the challenge.

Please keep reading and studying and you will answers elementary questions like

"what do you mean by hot wire model"

It's the way the newer of the old generation Subaru's MAF systems measure air flow.

I have seen the front mounted turbo on the XT6 but do not remember him every having it running.

You will have many questions and be spending more than your modest budget layout shows.

But do not give up, hitch that chariot to a star and have at it.

Talk sure is the cheapest part of this equation

as I said before Good Luck

the first three months figure is to get something running... and to start piecing together my parts collection I'll need to get it finished.

I may at first just rebuild the engine, and then as time and money allow, start to tear off and bolt on stuff. (keep it basically stock minus the cam change and Cu headgaskets until I have the turbo, fuel, spark, ECU, and management stuff all figured out and planned out.)

would a 'hot wire' model be like a '91 legacy type of maf? the one that has the catalyst that measures O2 readings as the air passes by it in the MAF?

I wonder if any of the EJ series injectors would fit in an EA82, and of course, which ones have a higher flow rate.

Now that I think about it, a pearl silver exterior would look cool.

Jon you have a bit of learning curve ahead of you on this journey.

It would be wise to gather information on the Subaru turbo fuel injection system that you planning on using.

You will learn that this statement is a bit incongruous.

"'hot wire' model be like a '91 legacy type of maf? the one that has the catalyst that measures O2 readings as the air passes by it in the MAF?"

The MAF and the 02 sensing devise are on opposite ends of the air ingestion cycle. The catalyst is down stream from the 02 sensor on this model.

Learning is good, you will be looking for injectors that have the same impedance as the turbo injectors in the car. The EJ turbo engines no doubt have a higher cc/min but are they peak and hold or are they saturated type injectors??

Jon the incline of this curve is rather steep. Use your time to read and learn, it will be time well spent.

The worst assumption one can make in this type of endeavor is that they know enough.

A good start would be getting a FSM for the year XT you are considering and studying it's fuel injection system.

If I were you I would just stick with the legacy turbo idea. I mean being able to say "twin turbo" is cool, but there are other limitations to the engine before you need twin turbos to get more power.

legacy turbo

custom x-over & downpipe

cams

aftermarket ecu

higher-flow injectors

wrx intercooler with recirculating blow off.

on second thought, I might just rebuild the engine, keep the internals stock (as the XT has the best cam of any of the EA82T engines) but use some good head gaskets.

Put on a better turbo (or a modified EA82 turbo, I have some ideas) a good exhaust setup, and an adjustable wastegate setup + BOV.

There MIGHT be room for two turbos in front of the engine (only because it's a late model XT with the radiator slanted) but I'd rather just have one turbo and not have to worry about one turbo being in better condition than the other, or whatever.

how does the XT get the best cams of the EA82T? Got specs?

The story of my engine...orginal one over heated=cracked head, new head+valve stuck open, boom. So, donor engine: 85 XT turbo engine. So i've got XT turbo cams. Looses power past 5500. RX cams from 1989, pulls TO 6k, then drops off. Delta 677-260's, Pulls until you decide to let out of it...whether that be 8k or whenever.

hm, well, guess I forgot about the RX. And the book I was looking at that had cam specs didn't cover the three door coupe, just EA82 carb, SPFI, MPFI, and turbo. (and EJ series engines to '96)

The XT MPFI (or turbo) engine only has one difference between other EA82 MPFI or turbo engines... the grind of the cam. whereas the GL10 MPFI (or whatever other car you could get that in) has a slightly different cam, with of course a lower HP rating. (XT GL10 is 94hp. I *think* other MPFI EA82 engines are 87hp.)

I was more or less noticing the differences in the cam grinds in a Chiltons when Hondasucks chirped out some misc. info. about the XT having the best cam grind of EA82 cams.

I guess I/He might be wrong... oh well.

WJM, did you lose alot of mileage to those cams? I would like of course, something that will breath real well and make that turbo work, but trying to stay out of the stealing my gas mileage area.

Dude, you'd know, what does a rebuild kit for an EA82T cost? That's what this whole thing was about, what do they go for?

If you are looking for parts locally I can hook you up. I can either get you factory (from Subaru) or get you the Manufacter parts (i.e a Atsugi Oil Pump) at a lower cost. Or get you something aftermarket like a Stone engine rebuild kit.

BTW, would perfer that you decide what you want, get the money together, I gather up the parts and you come up and get them.

hm, I didn't think about that really... I guess it makes sense. I'm tired today... had a long night and no sleep...

Yeah, manufacturer parts are good, but for everything else like the gaskets and seals, I would prefer to be genuine subaru.

Idea of cost on the rebuild kit (seals, rings, gaskets, ect.) not including oil or water pump?

• 14 years later...
1 hour ago, highschool-rally racer said:

I am rebuilding an old ea82t with blown head gaskets and i was wondering (for when i am done with it ) what intercooler I should run.

my options are: custom air to water with mishimoto radiator, front mount air to air intercooler, or none  

If it's a stock rebuild, just leave it without one.  Any intercooler will be custom, so keep that in mind.

Have an ej engine standing by for when the ea82t asss-splodes!

Just kidding, I have a 1985 xt turbo they are awesome cars, the definition of 80s japanese wackiness. I haven't checked to see if the passenger side head is cracked yet. Mine was involved in a collision with a deer and someone replaced the hood with a regular one. I don't have a posi either, didn't the GL-10 have a posi?

New oil pumps are not available new anymore, but some have had luck finding one that has been sitting on the shelf for a while, and ea82 guys hoard the factory ones, so they are out there. And the t belt kit is awful, I used an Aisin one on my carby ea82 and it skipped timing in like 1000 miles. So I got of that turd and put the ej in.

The digital dash is kickass homes! II hope yours works! It's 3d and it was designed by some guy at atari. And it was most aerodynamic and first production car with a cd player, and all kinds of other goofy crap. The asymetrcal steering wheel shaped like a gun, and all the stupid aircraft crap, etc... The prototype had a printer. 

Are you going to slam yours or lift her? Or keep her factory fresh? I think they look a little goofy at stock ride height, but are one of the best looking subes lowered. The 4wd is beast too :-) in the snow at least, I'm not taking no vintage xt off roading! But I bet she's nice off road too.

I do have an ej22 standing by for a swap someday, the ej is way better than the ea82. I have an 86 GL with a 2" lift and an ej22 and she's great, my GL will murder my xt in a drag race. I understand that the factory ecu can handle about 12 psi and the n/a pistons are low enough compression you can use them with low boost, so I might slap my IHI crap onto the ej and see how she does.

That being said the xt is a blast to drive, even 110 hp, because of the cute little turbo boost. In fact, in 4wd she leaves harder off the line than any of my cars including my 86 bmw 325 ix and that has 200 hp and awd! And my 77 Camaro gets wheel hop real easy if you just dump the clutch. Side step the clutch right as the boost is building and you'll be grinning like an idiot, wondering how such a slow car can take off so fast.

It's unfortunate that Subaru bastardized the xt name by calling those grocery getter outback and forester xt, just because they have a stupid turbo...So when you tell someone all happy and exited that you just bought a Subaru xt be ready for the response "oh the outback or the forester?" Have a snappy retort ready.

But you are getting a bit ahead of yourself here, you need to borrow some money or pawn something and swoop that xt like right now! Before someone else buys her because there are weirdos that think those cars are cool. There is some twisted f**k here on this forum installing a 6.2 ls6 with twin turbo for about 1000 hp, because the xt he has with the sti swap was too slow...damn!

But you'll get her man, take her to a show asap and hang around your car for a bit, it's funny most of the comments are either "what the hell is this?" Or "Look! A Subaru xt! sweet!" 

I sincerely hope that the digi dash and cd player are still there and working, the factory checker seats are still in good shape, and that you still have the hood emblem. It's the only square one. All the other subes had the old oval one. It's funny because the oval one is on the trunk! wtf? Why  not another square one?

Sorry for the long post but the Subaru xt is that cool. I get all exited when I hear about someone buying one. And they are so weird it's boggles peoples minds. I had a kid ask if mine could fly! The only sube made with pop up headlights! Haha! And there is an xt club that meets every year to drive up the tail of the dragon. And no you won't be racing any damn outback xts there, original s**t only! I guess we will have to wait for the guy with the LS swap on his xt to get too loose around a corner and we will pass him then :-D 

Anyway here is a pic of a cracked head. I understand the least crack prone are the third gen heads, but according to a very knowledgeable guy here who owns a sube shop says there are some critical parts that aren't being produced anymore like the oil pump and lifters and it's because subaru no longer supports the ea82. It's kinda funny but it seems like the engineers just slapped an ohc onto the ea81, but no parts interchange? And over time the ea82 has turned out to be a reliable engine, but worse than the ea81. Nothing wrong with pushrods! I hate changing one t belt much bless two! HAHA!

39202723274_72a1c76d7f.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy

@JonOfScio post some pics man!

My Subarus: my 1986 GL is named the baby lion and the 85 xt is named ghost. There is someone here with a really nice slammed black turbo one named the flying magpie, but he hasn't posted here in a long time.

Most people have never seen a vintage xt in real life. I saw one once and was sure to get a pic! And I saw one in the junkyard once. Someone has a sweet xt6 in boulder, CO. The early ones have the flat rear bumper and looks way better than the 6 cyl. years.

1543547326_shit2008.thumb.jpg.d55a08828928083e01a53a35682c56db.jpg1002657014_samsungshit313.thumb.jpg.f6f146d2d8d74c85d7def6b2e6427a43.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

Thanks Crazyeights!

A couple of cool old subes in Boulder. And a sad pic from Denver.

@JonOfScioI'm glad that you are saving an xt from the same fate. You can't buy a car from the junkyard here anymore :( The xt is rare to begin with, less than 100,000 worldwide over the six year production.

Sorry to hijack with a bunch of pics, and answer your engine questions with a bunch of xt trivia, but I'm a geek like that, I can't seem to resize the xt6 pic in the junkyard, but you get the idea.

Cheers man! Happy wrenching! Here is the v8 build for some bedtime reading / xt envy

https://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/165601-xtv8-build/?hl=swap This guy is nuts! In a good way.

1588438821_samsungshit250.thumb.jpg.98c84abb1a78107d73019defd56d0c85.jpgpost-61859-0-51717000-1482350419_thumb.jpg.f57860da35290fc049bc2bfbc3da6c2b.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy
  • Like 1

Oh man that is HILARIOUS!!!! Is there a sticky hall of fame?

I guess Jon must have enjoyed his twin turbo ea82, I am not sure two would fit under the xt hood, it needs a mod to fit the ej intake, does any of the real sube dudes here have any info on that?

Anyway Jon seems a bit like me getting all geeked with my big plans so...here is what I think might have happened cause its how would go about things,  but I am a bit older now so I might take a more conservative approach, time wise at least 

2004-2008

First priority is to slam the xt and make america scrape again. Sorry for the politics, I know it's inappropriate on a car forum but I am trying to get a bill passed where everyone is required to own one car at least two inches lower than stock height so everyone drives more carefully. The bill was originally for electric cars, but I changed it to include slammed. If it's passed then yes, you can slam your prius to get your license. It really worked out because my local no fat chicks ordinance failed. If the slam bill fails then maybe I can get with some people to try and get some medicinal marijauna to the people...we'll see vote for me if you live in aurora, CO!

2008-2012

Love the ea82tt, I would screw with a tandem setup and everything until I break something, I read if you monster boost those engines, they will make about 200 hp for a short time haha

Then in goes the ej22 I have sitting around, I'll just slap my IHI turbo on there because I have two of those already, and I have some fun, but wind up taking the turbo crap off so I have more control autocrossing.

then someday I do a full Sti swap and really smash and almost kill myself on the tail of the dragon. 

2012-2017

The politics did not work out because people are starting to make me sick, except people who like dogs ( I quit in disgust when they passed a pit bull ban, but I did help it get repealed) and vintage Chevys, subarus, and bmws. It has taken me this long, but now i can race my bros e30 which keeps getting faster with these nutty s52 and m60 swaps, but he dosen't want to race on gravel or dirt, too low, too much power and rwd. I finally fixed the air shocks on my xt so i can get it.

2017-2019

I am the guy putting the LS engine in an xt

Well I am 15 years too late, but that's fashionably for any vintage car endeavor. Oh I just realized I forgot to mention the body work in my 15 year plan so slammed and primer it be. I wonder how it worked out for Jon? I hope he got to live the dream and whip her around the tail or up pikes peak or something. 

Oh, the president ripped of my slogan and I never got paid. I shared my story with the dude that created tetris and he said not to feel bad. No Subaru related regrets though, except that i didn't start hoarding ea82 oil pumps hahaha!

old_timer_odaiba_16_dino_dalle_carbonare_42-1200x800.thumb.jpg.b372eef51d533fb48e0a0034f3443a44.jpg

Edited by sparkyboy