Ultimate Subaru Message Board

couple of questions about an 87 wagon

Guest JwX

ok I found this 87 wagon the guy wants 950 for it. it has a couple of rust thru spots on one is the driver side rear fender well on top, and on the same side rocker panel right under the backdoor, and on the other side same spot (rocker panel) its a carb, 5spd duel range. how hard would this be to change over to a spfi? and do you think 950 is to high for it I haven't heard it run yet but the coolant over flow bottle is empty isn't that supposed to have some coolant in it? and thats it for tonight I'm going to call the guy tomorrow to talk to him about it :rolleyes:

Guest skeetar

That rust sounds nasty. If you DO end up getting it, there is a tan 87 GL Wagon at U-Pull-It here in town with perfect fenders and wells. I'm in Kentucky, so if you can't find one close to you, it may be your best bet.

Guest GeneralDisorder

Sounds a little high - but maybe not for where you live. That rust does sound nasty - if it's completely rusted through - what do you suppose the underside looks like? :eek:

GD

Guest Flowmastered87GL

I think 950 is way too much for a rusty GL. I'd only pay like $200-300 personally. But we dont have to deal with rust much out here, so opinions kinda vary

well the underside is not rusted just those three spots I said but I'm going to talk to the guy a bout it today so I'll let everybody know what happens and is the coolant over flow tank supposed to have coolant in it?

Guest MilesFox

offer him 500 cash and settle for no more than 750 tops. rust sounds bad for a southern car, but its acceptable by indiana standards if the door seams are intact and the rear cargo "pockets arent rusted through. i would pay 500 myself for a car in that shape from indiana if it was mechanically sound and the interior was mint.

300 sounds more fair, but i have seen a rustbucket go for 500. how bad do you want it?

Guest thesubarukid

Coolant doesn't have to be in the overflow tank. Take off the radiator cap and look down into it and see if there is any coolant above the elbow. If there is, but just barely, then don't worry about there being any in the over flow tank. as long s the radiator is full then you should be good. I don't have any excess in my overflow tank and as long as im not doing 70+ on teh interstate, I never overheat (i over heat at 70+ cause the radiator is bad)

$950 is a bit high for that much rust... where are you at? I guess it all depends.

I'm in nouthen GA and thats what I thought about offering him start out at about 300 if its runs good if not then like 150 cause that 87 sedan I gpt for free cause it had a blown head gasket. but I called him and got the answering machine so I'll try agian tomorrow:rolleyes:

Guest moparbarney

I wouldn't pay that much. I just bought a 88 wagon runs great and the interior is very good and I only paid $150.00. I'm in WI so I got some rust but so far I love this car.

Joe