Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Summer camping/wheelin' schedule? (WA)

Hey I've been having cabin fever lately and daydreaming about all the places I

want to go when the snow melts. That got me thinking that maybe if some

planning was done now, then cool trips would be more likely to happen and more

people could attend. The type of "trips" I have in mind could be done as

overnighters for those with time, or you could catch just one day of it and still

have fun. They could have gnarly trails, yet folks with street cars could have a

scenic dirt road tour. You could even just stop by the rendezvous for socializing

then go hiking, biking, etc if that's your thing. Kinda like HPSS...that was a cool

weekend (Kudos to Zap, Qman, etc for making that happen!) Just tossing the

idea out there to see if anyone is interested. What do ya' think?

Some potential places:

EAST (good weather sooner)

* Blewett Pass-Mission Ridge-Colockum Pass (Memorial Day weekend? 1-3 day

campout & dirt road tour with views and 4x4 trail options.)

*Manastash Ridge from the east side. Taneum Creek

*Lake Wenatchee Area

*Entiat-Lake Chelan

*Naches Area

*Rimrock Lake area

NORTH & CENTRAL CASCADES

*Baker Lake area

*Money Creek/Miller River/Tonga Ridge

*Jack Pass area

*Naches Wagon Trail-Manastash Ridge

*Evans Creek

SOUTH WEST

*Elbe Hills

*Lewis River/Mt Adams area

*Mt St Helens

WEST

Dungeness ORV area

If we plan one. . . will you swear to make it, no excuses. . ?

I'm all for a separate function for just the offroaders in the hills somewhere. We'll make a weekend of it.

The Dungeness area sounds like my favorite of the bunch, it's close to the cabin. Those 21 and up can camp there, probably as many as 20 people would be welcome.

Better yet...

Mike leads one. He plans the time and place. Then he has to be there.:D

May tends to be a good time for camping and access yto the snowy areas. Higher elevations like Evans and Naches will need a few more weeks to thaw usually.

OK Mike, give us a plan!!

Yeah I knew you guys would say that!

Man I'd love nothing more that to be able to 100% commit to being there and even "leading" a trip. My life is getting more normal so hopefully that can happen. But part of my reason for posting this is to start the ball rolling so that LOTS of trips will happen weather I'm there or not. I was hoping that if places and dates can be chosen by popular opinion, that the event will just happen...leader or no leader. I'm not a great organizer or activities planner or whatever, but I'll do what I can. Hopefully everyone's enthusiasm to get out there PLAY and USE our Subarus will be enough to motivate folks to say "Yeah, sign me up!" or "Pick some dates and I'll try to be there!"

That's what I was hoping for.

Now as for "give us a plan"...

Near term:

How about another Black Diamond trail run next weekend or the weekend after that? A month ago the trails between Ravensdale and Black Diamond were "open." And the powerlines and clearcut between Ravendale and Kanasket were open. And the Kanasket trails and roads up Mount McDonald were still open. How about another half day run to those places and maybe meet for lunch and/or a Hatch Patrol meeting?

Zap, Dungeness may even be do-able right now. I don't think the elevation is much. I was hoping you'd chime in with the cabin campout concept. Sounds good to me! Hope the whoopdedoo bumps are still there...that rocked!

Long term:

How about Memorial Day weekend doing an east of the mountains trip to Bluett Pass/Mission Ridge. I've been over there a number of times on that weekend and had nice weather. The snow is mostly gone by then and the tour I have in mind would be really cool with a group (and wives, kids, etc.) I'm not sure about hardcore trails. There used to be some interesting 4wd trails but more current info is needed. There are lots of camping and excellent views making it a great backroads adventure drive at the very least. I just really like that area and it's a good place to find SUN!

After that, the higher places melt out and we're talkin' Manastash, Evans, Elbe, etc, etc... It's been a long time since I played down by Lewis River and St Helens but I know that area is nice. Maybe someone from Vancouver or Portland can get something going in SW Washington?

fyi. i'm planning on being up in washington the end of april or early may to drop off my car and go wheeling. i'm planning on at least a day run if not camp out at reiter. i'm determined to go after lake isabele again. i have serious beef with that trail. too much snow last time i was up on that trail. the log bridge has too many holes to dodge on ice and snow. so the toy i was with and i had to turn around.

so if you are interested. i'll be up in that area hopefully and can run all the trails in the reiter pit area.

hint, hint. that'll be my last trip to washington for 7 months to a year. you should come mike!!

Originally posted by Rooinater

fyi. i'm planning on being up in washington the end of april or early may to drop off my car and go wheeling. i'm planning on at least a day run if not camp out at reiter. i'm determined to go after lake isabele again. i have serious beef with that trail. too much snow last time i was up on that trail. the log bridge has too many holes to dodge on ice and snow. so the toy i was with and i had to turn around.

so if you are interested. i'll be up in that area hopefully and can run all the trails in the reiter pit area.

hint, hint. that'll be my last trip to washington for 7 months to a year. you should come mike!!

I call shotgun with Jared!

hey, i know of a really good place up by lake kachesse in the mountains, called Rachel Lake, just into snoqulamie pass, its a really fun drive on some nice gravel roades, and there is an awesome hiking trail at the end, all in all, about a 6 hour ordeal. Mabey a good idea, if any one is looking to get to gether for a lil bit more than the drive.

dan

Right on, that's the kind of interest I was hoping to get. Most of the places that we offroad our Subarus also have hiking and biking trails nearby. So even if Subaru pilots go off in different directions to recreate, it might be cool to hook up for a beer or soda afterwords, BS a while, kick the tires, and hang out.

Originally posted by Mike W

Yeah I knew you guys would say that!

Now as for "give us a plan"...

Near term:

How about another Black Diamond trail run next weekend or the weekend after that? How about another half day run to those places and maybe meet for lunch and/or a Hatch Patrol meeting?

Zap, Dungeness may even be do-able right now. I don't think the elevation is much. I was hoping you'd chime in with the cabin campout concept. Sounds good to me! Hope the whoopdedoo bumps are still there...that rocked!

After that, the higher places melt out and we're talkin' Manastash, Evans, Elbe, etc, etc... It's been a long time since I played down by Lewis River and St Helens but I know that area is nice. Maybe someone from Vancouver or Portland can get something going in SW Washington?

A small group of us actually plan to go to the cabin next weekend. I'll have my welded diff in finally, want to test it out. Mike, you're welcome to join us if you like.

As for a long term thing, I had planned on trying to set up another HP Meet (not a show!! ) as oon as we can set a date for the WCSS6 (is a show ) Planning for an HP Meet is pretty cut and dry.

1. Here's the place

2. this is the time

3. disclaimer (you'll get muddy)

4. see you there.

I really like EC for the Hp Meet Venue. It's hard to beat it.

I'll be up for something soon. Probably in March sometime. Looks like the 29th of this month I'm headed down to Medford to get my new bumpers and visit the southern OR crew. So in March I'll have to show off all my latest work on the wagon.

Eric, Mike - a HP meet would be great! I'm in if the date doesn't overlap my ARMY obligations.

GD

how can you have cabin fever? its 65 to 75 everyday. and never a cloud in sight. perfect for camping and 4wheeling. :D oh, maybe that's only in the desert. but still it has to be extremely good mud up there! i'd kill for mud right now!!

3 and a half years left till the end of my 5 year active, and can go home. 5 1/2 till my inactive service is up!

So maybe I couldn't go today 'cause I had an all day "date" but I'm actually 3 for 3 on fun runs for the new year. It's just that I forgot to tell the rest of you I was going on my own fun runs! Actually I didn't tell anybody I was doing a "run" because I didn't know if or where I was going until I got there. Like last sunday night for example I drove from Carnation to Sultan on the Stossle Creek roads doing a bit of recon for possible future trips. Turns out that most of the trails I did a few years ago are shut down now but there's still some fun stuff and blasting up snow covered logging roads with the lights blazing in the dark was a hoot. Good adventure driving out there if any of get a notion to try something different. And I found out that it's fast coming back from Sultan by going to Duval and taking 520 to Seattle.

Anyhow, I'm busy with moving etc. these days so I've been sneaking out when I get stressed out or get a chance. Might even go out tomorrow AM but have lots to do. Hmmm...maybe just go for a quick dip in the Mill Creek Mud Hole? Say maybe 10am? Anyone want to go?

And how about a half day run next weekend?

Saturday AM?

Black Diamond area trails?

Leave Seattle at 8am and meet at Four Corners by 9am? Try the powerline trails by Black Diamond first then the Kanasket trails & up Mt McDonald then maybe the Sugarloaf powerline trails for desert?

Anyone in?

And how about a half day run next weekend?

Saturday AM?

Black Diamond area trails?

Leave Seattle at 8am and meet at Four Corners by 9am? Try the powerline trails by Black Diamond first then the Kanasket trails & up Mt McDonald then maybe the Sugarloaf powerline trails for desert?

Anyone in? [/b]

I should be able to go.