Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Summer camping/wheelin' schedule? (WA)

Oh boy another "to lift or not lift" tangent (sigh.) I guess it pertains to trails like Black Diamond (and most of what we do) so I'll let it slide.

A few years ago a stock '83(?) wagon came with us on the Kanasket trails and made it through a lot of stuff. It was entertaining to watch. Lets just say he had to use brute force and the car took a pounding. A 3" lift and even slightly bigger tires would have made all the difference and allowed him to cruise through it like the rest of us. In a nutshell, doing trails like this in an unlifted car will eventually result in the lower half of the vehicle looking like a crumpled soda can. Lift the car 3" and add 14" snow tires or 26" mud tires and it's a formible beast. Add a welded or LSD rear diff and it'll go dang near anywhere. Total cost might be less than $500 if you score a deal on the wheels and tires.

Yeah the tranny and shift lever do drop but I never even noticed the change in lever position as far as driving goes. I haven't heard any complaints from other users either so I'd say it ain't much of an issue.

Anybode else up for a run to Black Diamond on Sat 2/21? It's only about 45 min from Seattle if the traffic doesn't suck.

Originally posted by Mr. Carb

ok, well that sounds good then, I don't want to lift it yet though, I want to wait until I can afford another daily driver... lol:D

That's an even lamer excuse than "my girlfriend would be pissed."

What's cooler than a lifted daily driver? I've been sporting a lifted Soob, in one form or another, as a daily driver for years now.