Ultimate Subaru Message Board

SCOTT, (you're) on..........BUILD OFF 2010

monstaru

So you 2 can do a build off, but then you need to expand it to more folks when it comes to the competition, or at least one entry for each type of build... then have the trails contest with some way to judge or measure performance or each skill/obstacle.

Then you'd have a somewhat definite answer to "which build is best" for ability... granted this doesn't take into account driving skill though....

examples of build types (limited to D/R), and (mild stock engine builds and weber carb OK); Each progressive class potentially building off the other:

Assumes Soob body, transaxle, engine

Platforms to start with

1. '81 GL Brat

2. '82-'87 Brat

3. '81-'84 "EA81" 4 dr Body Style

4. '81-'87 Hatchback

5. '85-'89 "EA82" Body Style

Class 1 - Stock D/R Soobs

Class 2 - Normal Unibody Lifted - Tranny swaps OK, Traction Aids in Diffs OK

Class 3 - T-Case lifts

you'll have additional variations within classes 2 and 3 for engine/trans swaps, and SAS options.

you could then do scores within class, and scores over all.

that is excellent mick.thanks for volunteering to judge!between you and zap it had better be fine rigs.see ya late june?:grin:

and i say we do evans creek again.we can run the comp on saturday.all we need is two to make a class , so. that could work out well.

excellent ideas.....lets keep'em comin...

cheers, brian

Or build like some kind of symbolic trophy that is actually worth nothing but makes everyone feel good about having it :grin: then pass it on to the winner of the next challenge :banana:

-Bill

someone take a portable welder, and make it with parts you both break during the challenge :lol:

i propose we actually try to straighten this thread out.and talk business.i don't really want a competition amongst a bunch of people.this should remain between scott and i , as it started out as.

i don't think with all of the effort going in that we have enough people to actually coordinate a true competition.unless someone pipes up with a proven low stress format.............

it is a friendly poke the bear kinda thing.i will talk about coordinating with the staff of wcss to have a mention of it at the show too, or something.

but what we need now, is a format for that.

i suggest we both state what base rules we want.

i want basically an unlimited class.......like racecars.must maintain subie motor

subie body , at least a windshield that is stock roo.

rtc.....

cheers, brian

i propose we actually try to straighten this thread out.and talk business.i don't really want a competition amongst a bunch of people.this should remain between scott and i , as it started out as.

i don't think with all of the effort going in that we have enough people to actually coordinate a true competition.unless someone pipes up with a proven low stress format.............

it is a friendly poke the bear kinda thing.i will talk about coordinating with the staff of wcss to have a mention of it at the show too, or something.

but what we need now, is a format for that.

i suggest we both state what base rules we want.

i want basically an unlimited class.......like racecars.must maintain subie motor

subie body , at least a windshield that is stock roo.

rtc.....

cheers, brian

Brian

this is what I plan to build

licensed and legal to drive on the road,

Subaru body,

Subaru Engine,

also whats all this about?

"""Itsignifiesourdeterminationtonotstrikethefirst blow,butalsotonotstandmuteandallowour lovedones,andallthatwebelieveinandstand for, tobetrampledbymenwhowoulddepriveusofour God-given–ornatural,ifyouwill–rightstosuit theirownends. """"

Edited by Scott in Bellingham
add detail

well, i did not plan to drive mine on the road .....i guess i can make it legal......thats just lights and such.

subie body , subie engine.

sounds like a plan scott.

ANY OTHER RULES?cheers, brian

Brian

this is what I plan to build

licensed and legal to drive on the road,

Subaru body,

Subaru Engine,

also whats all this about?

"""Itsignifiesourdeterminationtonotstrikethefirst blow,butalsotonotstandmuteandallowour lovedones,andallthatwebelieveinandstand for, tobetrampledbymenwhowoulddepriveusofour God-given–ornatural,ifyouwill–rightstosuit theirownends. """"

• 2 years later...

should we bring back the "BUILD OFF"

this would be for a off road rig

open it up to all

I would propose this...... well maybe

start with a cheep subaru wagon

have a cost limit

keep the stock engine and trans and drive system, no subaru bodies on a jeep or truck frame or straight axles

set a date and place to compete say next summer

what you guys think?

I think it should be a driving/offroad competition/race .

The last time your car would not work, but was built.I simply did not bring anything.:-p

And It must be built by yourself with little help.(meaning not have it shop built)You must be involved more than 75%.Buying parts is one thing.We all do that ,but having someone else put it together for you is just ridiculous......

Anyone can pay to have a rig done.

I really think that you should not be able to compete Scott.You won by default last time.You can compete the next time.:popcorn:You do nothing but build Subaru parts now.So its a little unfair....

I think you and I should judge said competition.

whatcha think?

cheers

• 2 weeks later...

i have a idea what about a build thread and a video wheel off it would be very hard to judge but would make a awsome thread post your build and link a youtube video in the post judge on car apperance wheelin style and overall sickness of the video pick a submit by date and lock the thread when a winner has been picked would open the compition to alot more people where ever they are and can be done every year with very little or no cost outside of the car and wheelin trip can be done in ones own time and run a car you already have or build a new one just post specs in the thread i would be down for that but no way im gona drive up to washington beat my car and hope it will make it home just a idea