Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea71 mod advice... HELP!!!

blownchevelle503

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude... drive your car to a gas station and use pump gas.

Also, change all your filters.

lol, I've been going to the station since I tuned it up. I didnt have a problem with the free gas until a week or 2 ago. as soon as I had trouble with it, I ran it out, tuned it up, filled with premium and an octane boost, and now it runs a lot better.

the only reason I used it, was because it was unlimited free gas. most people would take advantage of free gas, unless they found what I found in the bottom of the cans.

Where are you getting this "free" gas from? Nothing is free, and putting crap through your engine can cost you more money down the road.

Best EA71 mods for someone on a budget - full tank of top tier 87, fresh fuel filter, oil change with some Valvoline high mileage 10w30 and an OEM quality oil filter.

Where are you getting this "free" gas from? Nothing is free, and putting crap through your engine can cost you more money down the road.

Best EA71 mods for someone on a budget - full tank of top tier 87, fresh fuel filter, oil change with some Valvoline high mileage 10w30 and an OEM quality oil filter.

lol@ top tier 87. the owners manual calls for 91 or higher. the car runs like garbage on 87, and good on 92. the oil was changed with castrol 10w30 (I don't buy Valvoline or Pennzoil) the fuel filter has less than 5k on it. the filter is a commercial filter because of my shop discount at O'Reilly auto parts.

the free gas was free because the actual gas, didn't cost me a dime for the actual gas, it didn't cost me anything but my time to reverse the effects, the parts I bought for my car needed to be replaced long before I poured the poor gas into my car.

lol@ top tier 87. the owners manual calls for 91 or higher. the car runs like garbage on 87, and good on 92. the oil was changed with castrol 10w30 (I don't buy Valvoline or Pennzoil) the fuel filter has less than 5k on it. the filter is a commercial filter because of my shop discount at O'Reilly auto parts.

the free gas was free because the actual gas, didn't cost me a dime for the actual gas, it didn't cost me anything but my time to reverse the effects, the parts I bought for my car needed to be replaced long before I poured the poor gas into my car.

LOL at top tier 87 all you want. My 1980 Wagon ran great on 87 from Chevron. Good thing I didn't have an owner's manual, or I would have wasted a lot of money on 92.

haha, your 87 is fi isnt it? carbureted vehicles are sensitive.

I ran premium, octane boosters, regular, plus, everything I could think of through my 87 spfi gl wagon, 1990 rhd legacy wagon, 1991 legacy wagon, 1993 legacy wagon, and both 1993 legacy sedans. nothing ever made a difference, it only worked for my 1980 1600 std single range 4wd ea71 hatch. I've used several different brands of octane boost, nos brand octane boost has worked the best for me, but only in carbureted vehicles... that's just been my experience.

I have noticed a difference between 87 octane, and 92 octane in my car. so sit back, put your hand down, and don't try and tell me what works and what doesn't until you've driven my car on regular, then on premium.

and the best gas you can buy in salem, or is 76 brand 92 octane gas. they call their fuel 92 octane, but when tested it is found to be 93-94 octane.

take a carbureted chev 350 lets say in a 70 corvette, just for the sake of arguement. run regular 87 octane from chevron, it will run, and it will run poorly and get low fuel mileage. I will stake everything I own that running the same motor on 92 octane will show you a night and day difference in power, and fuel efficiency. it's something I've almost obsessed about for a lot of years. I've ran 87 and 92 in several carbureted vehicles, too many to list, I can provide over 10 people to back up my theories, that 92 runs better in carbureted vehicles, then 87 does.

I'll bet you're going to tell me that bp, or arco gas is "Watered down"

let's blow this idea outta the water right now... pun intended.

BP or British Petroleum owns Arco fuel stations, their gas isn't watered down, or even diluted. the reason it is so much cheaper than other brands, is becaue they buy from the cheapest source, no matter what. they might buy from company A today, and company B tomorrow.

if their gas was watered down, then several customers would get their tanks full of water. gasoline is a petroleum product, gas and water don't mix, they would seperate in underground tanks, and like I said, several customers would get water, while others would get gas.

haha, your 87 is fi isnt it?

What? My 1980 Wagon ran great on 87 from Chevron. 80 is the year, 87 is the octane.

Now, I also had a 1987 wagon that was converted to SPFI, and it ran great on 87 octane as well.

Either the Chevron gas I use has magical powers, or Portland gets all the good gas and sends the dregs to Salem. :)

I've never heard of Arco putting gas in water, until you mentioned it. Seems they might:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/arco-gas-c210316.html

I can see from your rant that you are an expert on carbureted vehicles and what octane makes them run best, and you have over 10 people to back up your theories. I am truly impressed. :rolleyes:

What? My 1980 Wagon ran great on 87 from Chevron. 80 is the year, 87 is the octane.

Now, I also had a 1987 wagon that was converted to SPFI, and it ran great on 87 octane as well.

Either the Chevron gas I use has magical powers, or Portland gets all the good gas and sends the dregs to Salem. :)

I misread the year of your car. my bad.

the response to your statement... maybe your car doesn't run great, maybe you're just easily pleased.

or

maybe my car, and every other carb'd car I've owned, driven, and known about doesn't run better on 92, maybe drag racers are wasting hundreds of dollars on a fictional dream. why even sell 92 octane, it's completely useless right?

maybe fuel delivery systems can run on hopes, dreams, and gum drops.

maybe unicorns are the responsible party, maybe they created 92 octane, they created it so people would pursue a different fable creature and leave them the hell alone.

I have fable creatures watching after my car, what's watching after yours?

great link BTW some poor fool really thinks they got their tank of water from arco... priceless. I don't use arco, not because its half water, but because there isn't a station by my house, and I am not fond of dealing with unsavory people, and leaving my car unattended near tweakers.

• 2 months later...
You can't even buy head gaskets for it from Subaru anymore and most parts are becomming scarce and/or are out of production.

For future reference, this is false and starting to become a bit of a myth around here due to CCR's comment awhile back about this.

Full engine gasket kits are still available through Subaru, including headgaskets.

Almost any part for the motor (waterpumps, oil pumps, pistons, bearings, valves, etc.) can still be found new. Blocks and heads of course can not be found new, but are easy to find.

I misread the year of your car. my bad.

the response to your statement... maybe your car doesn't run great, maybe you're just easily pleased.

or

maybe my car, and every other carb'd car I've owned, driven, and known about doesn't run better on 92, maybe drag racers are wasting hundreds of dollars on a fictional dream. why even sell 92 octane, it's completely useless right?

maybe fuel delivery systems can run on hopes, dreams, and gum drops.

maybe unicorns are the responsible party, maybe they created 92 octane, they created it so people would pursue a different fable creature and leave them the hell alone.

I have fable creatures watching after my car, what's watching after yours?

great link BTW some poor fool really thinks they got their tank of water from arco... priceless. I don't use arco, not because its half water, but because there isn't a station by my house, and I am not fond of dealing with unsavory people, and leaving my car unattended near tweakers.

I've never heard of Arco putting gas in water, until you mentioned it. Seems they might:

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/arco-gas-c210316.html

I can see from your rant that you are an expert on carbureted vehicles and what octane makes them run best, and you have over 10 people to back up your theories. I am truly impressed. :rolleyes:

20080301190731_arguing_over_internet.jpg

Just a thought here, mainly I'm raising my post count so people won't think I'm such a noob. But, the EA81 was available in a hydraulic lifter version that doesn't require valve adjustments. They aren't as common. I believe they were only put in later model auto trans EA81 cars. If you're that hung up on low maintenance, you might want to consider finding one.

It's not my intent to pit my Subaru knowledge against GDs. I assume he didn't mention that engine because they aren't very easy to find. Also, I saw mention of the EA63 and I know of a board member in Reno who has one he might like to be rid of.

They are more prone to failure than standard lifters, and can't handle higher RPMS well. And I think something to do with oil pressure can effect the way they operate, i'll have to ask again about it.

Edit: Found a long article about it regarding VW engines:

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/HydraulicLifters.html

Basically it seems comes down to:

Hydraulic -

Pros: Quiet, Less adjustment needed (less maintenance)

Cons: Limited RPM capability, can fail if not adjusted properly, slightly less power/responsiveness.

Solid -

Pros: Best performance for higher RPMS, won't fail as easily (solid piece of metal), more responsive

Cons: Louder, more maintenance required (valve adjustments)

I just saw another article just now saying the Hydraulics have a slight valvetrain lag on startup due to oil pressure, but that might have just been for the Chevy V8's they were discussing.

Edited by Kostamojen

• 3 years later...