Ultimate Subaru Message Board

When was 2.5L head gasket issue finally addressed?

Dunno... but the only subaru that I've actually destroyed it's engine was a 2006 -- and I've owned about a dozen of them, mostly 80's ones, and one EA82 had bad head gaskets, but the engine was still ran fine if you kept the coolant level up. THe 2006 outback we had at work had some odd oil leak that soaked the timing belt, and caused it to slip, destroying one head. Covered under warrantee since it was only 15k miles on it at the time. I consider that to be a bit of a fluke, but it shows that there are exceptions to every trend. I also had a friend punch a rod through the block on a phase I EJ22, which is often considered the most bulletproof subaru engine ever. And another friend get 400k miles on a chevy engine with no work.

This has been asked over and over before. There's no quantitative answer. Subaru discontinued their extended headgasket warranty campaign around 2002/2003 and started requiring their "conditioner" with the coolant, so i believe that's their "fix". whether any updates happened later than that i have no idea.

It's important to note the headgasket issue is not nearly as prevalent as it was in the past.

This is what I've heard too. My independent Suby shop says they've only had a few after about 2004 models.

See, my concern is that 2004 and up doesn't show up so much is because they don't yet have the (relatively) high enough miles for this to happen, namely 80K+ miles. Maybe in a few years we will see a flood of those as well.

Consumer Reports' guide shows the '04 had major engine issues. However, '05 was given the thumbs up in the engine section. I remember Subaru was getting the most grief over the HG issues during 2003. It would make sense that they figured out the fix for the '05 year.

Edited by 9098

See, my concern is that 2004 and up doesn't show up so much is because they don't yet have the (relatively) high enough miles for this to happen, namely 80K+ miles. Maybe in a few years we will see a flood of those as well.

My dealer looked up my vin number and told me I had a number XXXXX head gasket, and that was the corrected one and I would be fine. But I must admit, I still am concerned. I check for leaks under the car, easy to spot in the white snow! So far the snow is still white! :lol::banana:

check your crank sprocket, does it wobble??

Whenever I go over a bump or into a dip it shakes. Any thoughts on a remedy--the mechanic seemed to think the crank had to be replaced?

Edited by Krag

• 2 weeks later...