Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82 head porting?

After disecting the spare set of heads ( link ), I am about to embark on the porting adventure, just wondering if anyone would like to share their handiwork...

Here is a link (the only one I could find) I found...

Would probably be quite nice on a set that weren't cracked, certainly some good gains to be had in the exhaust 'bowl'

The only advise I can really give you on your ea82t heads is to be careful and not take too much material away from the ports as the head castings are rather thin compared to other subaru's. The best thing you could do is to match the heads to the gaskets and take only as much away as needed and blend the port to the gasket matched portion.

Good luck:)

The last Japanese car I pulled the head off was a Datsun 510. The combustion chambers were polished mirror smooth, compared to those. It was bone stock from the factory. The Subaru ones look more like Chevy heads. I am shocked at the drop in standards over the years. Polishing combustion chambers was where a port and polish job started with the Chevies.

Unless extensive flow and combustion event testing has shown this to be a myth, I would start by making those chambers smooth. (And I am pretty sure Sir Harry Ricardo liked smooth combustion chambers. Good enough for me.) No chance of making holes in the wrong place, either.

" I would start by making those chambers smooth."

Here's some thoughts about that.

By doing so you're less likely to have deposits stick and cause pre-detonation, spark knock and so forth.

You take out any sharp edges that lead to the above, detonation. When they get hotter than the surrounding material.

You can equalize the combustion chamber for a more balanced, smoother running engine.

Doug

Yeah, that'd be good, but I really want to see the above mentioned cut heads, and combine that information with mine....

Its taken me a very long time but Ive have found some of those pics.

I can only find a few of the cut away ER27 and etc heads.

100_5741.jpg

100_5744.jpg

100_5748.jpg

100_5783.jpg

100_5792.jpg

100_5794.jpg

100_5796.jpg