Ultimate Subaru Message Board

hesitant power loss studder with a bit of rattle?

hello, i'm new to this forum.

i have a 86 dl wagon -

stock 1.8l ea82

2" lift

28" tires on 15" wheels

nothing fancy.

lately there has been like a power loss i'd say? when i press on the gas it feels like its lacking power. same when shifting threw gears. it alternates from this to how it should normally drive. like i'll just barely be on the gas and it will be fine and dandy but when i push further, it will either stay normal and get going or studder / hesitate and lose power and take more time to get going. also when the power loss occurs there is a slight rattle noise?

i've looked around and couldn't find anything about this so i'm asking.

does anyone know what could be wrong or happening?

thanks.

Hard to say w/o hearing in person,but,seeing how it accompanied by a studder/rattle,it is probably detonation.

Try a tank of high test,check timing and egr operation.

Could be carboned up too.

Larger tires are an aggravating factor.

• 2 weeks later...

well, i changed out my egr, adjusted the ignition timing, and new spark plugs, and dribbled small amouts of water into the carb to get rid of some of the carbon ( read about that from some machanic dude ) the rattle is gone and most of the power is back. so you can try some of those ideas. im also thinking about doing the seafoam so ill let you know what happens with that.

right now i am in the process of changing out the head gaskets since 1 or both are blown.

i'll keep you updated if i find any other things that could be the problem and help out.

maybe the accelerator pump is going out, or you might have a clogged secondary jet. maybe aloose vac line for the secondary.

i am assuming you have a hitachi carb, which this car would have had from the factory.

i had fueling issues in my 86 gl coupe. after rebuilding the carb, i found my issue to be a bad intake gasket and bad rotor.

I have been running 2 oz of high dollar fuel treatment. Car quit smelling like varnish, and the sporadic idle has now settled down

the cats were glowing red hot when i first got the car, and had to poke them out and repair the pipe. this was before doing anything else to get the car running properly

i'll check the cat and see how its doing, i've been thinking about rebuilding the carb, but i would rather just get a weber.. too bad i dont have the money for that.. i havent noticed any leaks or clogs anywhere but ill keep lookin around.

thanks for all the info and help

kartier