Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Lower EA82 wagon

hey, i was wondering if anyone can help me out. i want to lower my ea82 wagon, i dont want to heat or cut the coils on the springs, is there anyway that i can lower my wagon about an inch or even a half inch without doing that.

can i run some aftermarket coilovers like skunk II's, KYB or QA1's. i am a great welder and i can make new mounts if i have to.

can someone please post some pictures of the stock front and rear coil/shock setups, plus how they mount so i can get an idea on how to make other systems work.

Thanks a million,

Shean

Use the ground control spring /adjustable perch set and mount that on some struts. I am not sure what is out there for EA82 wagons in terms of adjustables or performance struts. Camber issues will come up if you drop too low. How low you go depends on how much time you want to put into camber management.

oh i know about the camber issues, but i was wondering if there was a coil-over strut that i can use off like a newer impreza or forester that i can bolt on, and change the firmness of it, so at autoX'ing i can stiffen it up, and crsing its looser.

thanks for any more aditional information.

by the way, where can i get those springs your talking about.

Thanks for the help,

Shean

Yes... using 4WD wagon struts will bump an XT up pretty high. I made the mistake of using them on my XT when I first replaced the air suspension. It seemed... odd to say the least. Also, 4WD wagon rear springs have 2 extra coils on them.

2WD XT struts are the lowest that the EA82 chassis ever had. With those installed on my XT, the foot of my floor jack is less than 1/4" lower than the frame rail. My guess is about 5" ground clearance at the front frame rail, which would probably equate to 3" at the lowest point of the car.