Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Tie rod end replacement--how hard/easy is it?

i've replaced a few tie rods and i've never bought the locking tabs....but i can not imagine that i would install the old ones so i would assume it came with the hardware.

i think it can vary by manufacturer. like some axles come with nothing, some with nut, some with nut and pin. some ball joints come with pinch bolt, nuts, and pin, some just the nut and pin...etc.

seems like the higher quality stuff tends to come with the hardware. new nuts, pins, bolts, etc. the cheap stuff might just come with none or fewer parts.

i don't buy cheap stuff on tie rods, i'd installed a used Subaru OEM unit before buying the cheap stuff here.

i just did a stinking inner tie rod last year and can't recall...:confused:

so are you saying I don't need that inner tie rod part from amazon?

my boots have been torn for so long that a bit of rust is getting to the inner rods. so I figure if the vise grips don't work I could have a backup.

you don't "need" it, but you might want it.

you need something to get the inner tie rod off but not a special tool, i'd use a wrench, readily available and useful for lots of other things. i can't imagine not being able to get that off but I don't know what your tool selection looks like. if you're concerned about it, then it might be best to have it on hand. buy it locally and you can return it if you don't need it...or some places like Advanced Auto Parts an Autozone have tool loaner programs.

i already mentioned, wrenches and monkey wrenches (pipe wrenches) will get it off.

you don't "need" it, but you might want it.

you need something to get the inner tie rod off but not a special tool, i'd use a wrench, readily available and useful for lots of other things. i can't imagine not being able to get that off but I don't know what your tool selection looks like. if you're concerned about it, then it might be best to have it on hand. buy it locally and you can return it if you don't need it...or some places like Advanced Auto Parts an Autozone have tool loaner programs.

i already mentioned, wrenches and monkey wrenches (pipe wrenches) will get it off.

OH COME ON!

You always NEED a new tool, sheesh

:lol::grin:

nipper