Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch and Vendor Questions

e3mt

A while back someone spoke well of a "Luchs" or "Lucks" or something brand clutch. Tried a search and could not find the thread. Anyone remember what it was? Needing clutch kit for EA-81 4wd hatch.

Since we're on the subject, it seems pulling the engine is the preferred method to replace a clutch. Anyone favor pulling the tranny?

Also, with this hatch being a 1987 getting parts is sort of a PITA. Got an order from oemparts.com and half of it was wrong. Anyone have a recommendation for a good vendor?

Feel free to ping me off list if you like.

Thank you much - Mark

Luk is the brand I think you are looking for. Exedy is pretty popular around here too.

Preference for engine or trans pull is based on a lot of things.

If you have a loaded car and are strong on your back you might prefer to do a trans swap from underneith. If you have a car lift a trans swap would be easier.

But if you have an engine hoist and a simple carb car, the engine pull is probably easier and allows for you to do some engine maint at the same time like oil pan, front seals, timing belt if applicable, etc. Alot of people like the opportunity to degrease and clean the engine compartment too.

Originally posted by e3mt

Thanks Shawn. You have a favorite vendor for getting the right parts when you order?

Mark

i know, i'm not shawn. But.....I recommend going to napa and getting a Luk clutch (pronounced luke). cost me 200 bones for an ea82. they had mine in stock. you may get a slightly better deal on-line. but when it comes time for warranty and the like it's nice to have somebody in town to talk to.

good luck. have fun!:-p

I bought a Subaru OEM clutch from subaruparts.com they shipped the wrong part twice, but it was like $150 and included a release bearing, pressure plate and clutch disk. Don't forget to have the flywheel resurfaced and you'll have no problems. I also replaced release bearing springs, like .10 each. Pulling the motor is the way to go, IMO.

Good Luck, Chris