Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My Subaru XT turbo

If anyone remembers I bought a Subaru XT off ebay a while ago. Between school work and hanging out I have been working on it. The texas winter we have been haveing has been nice and I have gotten alot done.

In two days I had the entire engine apart and down to a short block sitting on the end of the transmission. It had obviosly been sitting for awhile and needed to be cleaned. The valves had alot of carbon deposites on them and there was this white crap in all the water channels that I had to clean out. The block still needs some work. The car was missing 4 valve lifters that I will have to get from a junkyard since they are 55$ a peice from the dealership. Once I get her running It will be time to see about getting rid of that stupid automatic transmission.

This is my first project of this magnitude if you don't count the tractor which was more of my dads project anyways(and he still isn't finished with it). It has really taught me alot but I know I still have lots to learn.

And for the pictures

http://falenseraf.lardpirates.com/Subaru/

Picture 29 is the casulties of the evening when we were taking it apart. One 12mm socket a 17 mm and a 3/8 to 1/2 drive converter. None of them were craftsman.

Now for my question. I think the lash adjusters are messed up.

http://falenseraf.lardpirates.com/Subaru/Subaru%20002.jpg

There is a picture if you don't know what I am talking about.

Half of them don't move when i push on them with my hand and ooze dirty oil when lightly compressed with the vice. Now theses little guys are 75$ each from the dealership and I would need 8 X 75$ makes 600$. That is more than I paid for the car! is there anyway I can take them apart and clean them fix them get new ones cheaper? If I have to drop 600$ on these stupid things I am going to cry.

I will be happy to give you a hand with the tranny swap when the time comes.. I'm in Austin for the week, But will be back in North Dallas soon. There is a great article Cameron wrote on tearing the lifters down and cleaning them, but for some strange reason its not in the USRM.. Turbo Parts are a little difficult to find in this area, but I believe that a friend of mine in Denton (he's on the board, but doesn't post) has some cracked Turbo heads we could probably salvage some parts from. I'll get ahold of him when I get back in to town if you want... I will also see if I can dig up that article on lifter cleaning.. Some of the oldtime Board members should know whih one I am talking about.. I have it at home, but I am on a laptop in a hotel room....if anyone knows where its at, please pass it on to this guy..

And Brian. why isn't camerons article in the USRM?.. or did I just miss it?

EDIT: I love the yellow wire looms on the intake hoses.. gonna have to get some of those for my wagon.

Awesome I am so glad to hear I won't be shelling out 600$ for a handful of parts. I am begining to gather parts for the tranny swap but whenever I say tranny swap my dad says wrx and I ask him how in the hell I am going to afford that. I am going to do it in spite of him though. Those lifters would be awesome but I am not sure if I will need them just yet I am talking with the guy who I bought the car from and they might be lieing around somewhere in the car that I didn't look.

Edit: The paint and wire looms came with the car which is kinda cool rally yellow and all.

Ya know, i think you would find putting the engine back together easy'er if the engine was actually OUT of the car...I know that I can have on stripped to SB form in 20 mins once its out, and it takes me 45 mins to get it out of the car.

Nice pics, and it looks like you are comming along well.

The valve lifters: The peice that the can rides on? Or the Hydrualic Valve lash adjusters? Either way, Ive got some, if you are interested.

http://falenseraf.lardpirates.com/Lifters%20003.jpg

http://falenseraf.lardpirates.com/Lifters%20004.jpg

These are the parts I need I have 4 but need 4 more.

Now I can't decide if I want to pull the block or not. It would be alot easyer to clean it off with it out and on a workbench. I guess I will next time I get out there to work on it.

edit: Can two people lift the block out?

Well I found the ones from the car they were hideing in the trunk. He put them in a black bag next to the jack so I assumed it was for all the jack levers and stuff. It had the lifters and a bunch of bolts. Sorry to make you go through the trouble of looking for them. I really do apreciate it.

Forkspear: I can't imagine it weighing that much being aluminum and all. I will see about taking it out to clean it up.

Are you a goon too?

I was wondering why half of those links were already viewed... and that yellow block looked familiar :-P

Also, two people can lift a whole EA82 engine and carry it around, but I doubt they could pull it out of an engine bay (hunched over and all).

Keeping that in mind, I bet a short block would be way easy to pull out.

Yup, It can be pulled by 2 people.. Been there.. jack the tranny up a little.. cuss at it until you and the engine turn blue, and it should slide right out.:D.. it is easier with a cherry picker though.. If you have to put it back in by hand, its a lot easier with 3 people.