Ultimate Subaru Message Board

She only has problems when she tries to accelerate...and idle.

I knew not being mechanically minded would come back to bite me. I've got a '95 Legacy with 106,000 on it. About a week ago, she started to make popping noises if I pressed the accelerator too hard, especially if the engine wasn't yet to peak RPM (the lack of a tach on my Brighton (hooray for getting a car I could afford on my part-time customer service job that I quit two years ago) makes it a guess as to what peak RPM is). A few days later, she'd fight with me at that point. And today the CHECK ENGINE light came on and the car has started shaking at idle.

Can anyone tell me what's wrong with my car, how hard it is to fix, and how much I can expect to pay a mechanic if the answer to previous question is 'too hard for you, you pasty leech'?

I'm planning to trade it for a Baja next month, but I don't want to walk away from that with my backside hurting too much.

start with spark plug wires, and spark plug gaps. More likely than the coilpack, and with 105,000, you are overdue for these to wear out. It will get worse as the wires burn internally. Dealer wants like ~$16 per wire, I'm sure they can be had for less.

Mike

I replaced three of the four plugs a couple months ago...gave up when I couldn't reach the fourth one (the one closest to the driver's seat) to get it out. So it sounds like wires, then.

I guess the only thing I should add is that my fuel gauge is horribly off, and that this problem additionally could have been caused by running it dry a couple times.