Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I think I have a leaky unit?

I noticed some oil around what looks to be an oil pressure sending unit. It's located under the alternator and has what looks like a plastic top with a wire attached to it.

I'm pretty sure it's been leaking for awhile. My question is, should I buy Subaru or will any aftermarket work as well ? And do you have to remove the alt. to get to it.?

Engine is a EJ22T, 195K.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Mike

I bought one at Napa and it worked fine. It is a cheap sensor either way regardless of whether you get it at the dealer or at a auto parts chain.

Also I did remove the alternator to gain my room, but I am sure there is a way to get in there with a wrench. Not difficult to remove the alternator. Actually I think I just took off the belt, and tilted mine up.

I bought one at Napa and it worked fine. It is a cheap sensor either way regardless of whether you get it at the dealer or at a auto parts chain.

Also I did remove the alternator to gain my room, but I am sure there is a way to get in there with a wrench. Not difficult to remove the alternator. Actually I think I just took off the belt, and tilted mine up.

Thanks ericem, I'll pick one up from NAPA. I'll also try your tilt the alt. for access. Thank for the tip.

Also, question on what to use to seal the threads? Permetex #2 or the white tape or?

thanks again.

Mike

I wish! auto non lsd. 91 is the only year with a LSD lucky guy. With my car I can definitely feel I need a LSD just with a auto. If I gun it on asphalt in a turn I can get 1 rear wheel to spin pretty easy. Hopefully this spring I will do a 5spd swap.

I wish! auto non lsd. 91 is the only year with a LSD lucky guy. With my car I can definitely feel I need a LSD just with a auto. If I gun it on asphalt in a turn I can get 1 rear wheel to spin pretty easy. Hopefully this spring I will do a 5spd swap.

I lived in HEAVY SNOW country in Colorado when this car suddenly appeared on the ONLY car lot in my small town. I had been looking for one to replace my old 90 Loyale 1.8 turbo w/auto which I sold a yr/2 earlier.

The only thing that might stop this car is getting high centered in snow. Period.

I now know better and moved to Tucson last year and find myself shifting my life away here in the city. I never thought I would like an auto since I like grinding my own gears, but city driving is a bit more busy with shifting etc;

But, this car is so much fun, fast, and gets 30+ mpg on the highway and you don't have to follow anyone for lack of passing ability.

Geez, maybe we should trade cars, but I just put a new windshield wiper on mine so..I dunno...

haha :D I hear ya my friend has a new kia forte SX 6 speed and he said he wishes alot of times he had a auto just because of so much traffic.

I find the auto works well :)

Check out revtronix on google. They have a stage 1 and stage 2 chip that goes in the ecu that tunes the boost control solenoid, fuel trims etc etc.

I at one point had the stage 2 at 17 psi with a td04 and 06 wrx intercooler on a stock auto tranny. Worked well for a year but the tranny lost all the gears, and i found alot of boost leaks developed because of the crappy intake setup i made. So I am now back to stock and put a working transmission in. I purchased a stage 1 chip this time around which works with everything stock and it will be at 13psi vs stock 8 and get 10% better fuel economy.

haha :D I hear ya my friend has a new kia forte SX 6 speed and he said he wishes alot of times he had a auto just because of so much traffic.

I find the auto works well :)

Check out revtronix on google. They have a stage 1 and stage 2 chip that goes in the ecu that tunes the boost control solenoid, fuel trims etc etc.

I at one point had the stage 2 at 17 psi with a td04 and 06 wrx intercooler on a stock auto tranny. Worked well for a year but the tranny lost all the gears, and i found alot of boost leaks developed because of the crappy intake setup i made. So I am now back to stock and put a working transmission in. I purchased a stage 1 chip this time around which works with everything stock and it will be at 13psi vs stock 8 and get 10% better fuel economy.

Wow, cool! do you think they could tell me how to safely fry my alternator?