Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81T Hardtop Decisions

picture.php?albumid=154&pictureid=1682

I'm trying to decide what I should do with my 84 T-Coupe. Its got 58,xxx miles on it and runs perfectly. There are two minor body dings that need attention and it's about to get new alloys. The interior needs a new rear seat, and I'm planning to magically resurrect the digi-dash.

The question that I've been mulling over is whether or not I should restore the vehicle for resale or for my personal pleasure. I'm very curious what resale value of this car would be in near-mint condition. The reason that I'm torn on this issue is the simple fact that this car is highly upgradeable and has a lot of potential and cool factor. As an example, a 4- or 5-speed and rear disks would improve driving qualities and fun, but might devalue the vehicle in terms of resale.

So, my question to you who have a gauge on the rare EA market is: tell me what this car might be worth.

picture.php?albumid=154&pictureid=1682

I'm trying to decide what I should do with my 84 T-Coupe. Its got 58,xxx miles on it and runs perfectly. There are two minor body dings that need attention and it's about to get new alloys. The interior needs a new rear seat, and I'm planning to magically resurrect the digi-dash.

The question that I've been mulling over is whether or not I should restore the vehicle for resale or for my personal pleasure. I'm very curious what resale value of this car would be in near-mint condition. The reason that I'm torn on this issue is the simple fact that this car is highly upgradeable and has a lot of potential and cool factor. As an example, a 4- or 5-speed and rear disks would improve driving qualities and fun, but might devalue the vehicle in terms of resale.

So, my question to you who have a gauge on the rare EA market is: tell me what this car might be worth.

Nobody other than a enthusiast would know if you swapped a 5spd and rear disc brakes on it. And I dont think they would complain or devalue it, I wouldnt. As a matter of fact, thats my next build. With some slight improvements ;)

And to put a price on it is hard to do.

Showroom floor condition with low miles, I would say maybe $3K.

Instead u guys got the EA81 RX..aka more power than a turbo coupe.

Yeas but they only sold about 15 or so new here :-\ most got turned into rally cars including possums old one.

And the very odd one was Jap 2nd hand imported.

Ive only ever seen two... one that was dereged and one runner.

We got a few more of the GLF coupe? seen about 5 of them.

Edited by kiwi subbie

What are other people's opinions? Will it decrease the value of this car to do some light modifying?

Also, I'm starting to think about performance struts with the stock hight adjustment, any suggestions?

Im going to side with Rob on this one. Modify what you want. Do a DR 5 speed swap. Honestly i think that would increase the value along with the rear disk swap. There are only a select few people who know that car exists and most of em are on here. Me personally...if i had the choice between a clean restored EA81T coupe with a 5 speed swap and rear disks or a slightly weathered but all original one i would choose the swapped one any day. Thats just me.

As a EA81T aficionado like Rob, my suggest would be the same as his.

Modification that are removable and do not harm the integrity of the vehicle and that are reversible are acceptable. Cutting fenders to install bigger tires probably would hurt he value. Unfortunately, it is never going to be a REALLY valuable Shelby Cobra, so you should just enjoy it and keep all the parts you take off.

IMO, I would restore the body to pristine condition inside and out (including somehow repairing the didgi dash) but modify the running gear a bit. Stock engine, but with an 87-89 RX FT4wd D/R trans with Diff lock, Clutch LSD rear diff, rear disk brakes, and suspension upgrades (poly bushings, new struts, rear antiroll bar, etc.) And a new stereo in a slant center consol of course. Basically make it all apear to be stock, but it will be a lot more fun to drive, and to me more valuable with the more desirable parts.

-Bill