Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA81 Struts: KYB Gas-a-just

I'm considering these upgrade struts for my hardtop and have a couple questions for members who have used gas-a-just replacements:

- KYB lists only Rear struts for the Brat application, is this the strut being installed on all four corners?

- Performance: Please describe the driving characteristics. Is there a significant reduction of body roll? How does it autocross?

- Bushings: Where can I source stock and/or stiffer bushings?

. . I'm thinking autocross campaign with my t-coupe in rwd . .

I can answer one of your questions...KYB for some odd reason does not make the Gas-adjust for the front. I know cause i wanted it on all for corners but the best i could get was the GR2 at all 4 corners. Im curious what others say though cause the GR2s in the rear dont seem to be stiff enough still. I wonder what the Gas-adjust in the rear and the GR2s in the front would feel like.

- Performance: Please describe the driving characteristics. Is there a significant reduction of body roll?

Qualitatively speaking...yes there is a significant reduction in body roll. I love my gas-a-justs ('81 hatch). They made a huge improvement in driveability for me, but not everyone likes the stiffer ride. I do a lot of driving on curvy back-country roads and I like to carry my speed through the turns, so they are great for that. I have new GR2s in the front and all new bushings in the front suspension, but they are just the stock rubber not poly. My wife has gas-a-justs on her '84 wagon as well and really likes them.

had the gas adjusts on the rescue wagon in the rears (83 GL wagon) and they were AWESOME. Even when i hauled a ej22t longblock back there on a 300 mile trip from KC, it was just awesome. much better then the stock comparison on my BRAT. I would recommend them.

IMGA0065.jpg?t=1265897929

Edited by bheinen74

If your struts haven't been replaced in 20 years, then anything will likely be a major improvement. I run GR2s up front and Gas-A-Justs in the rear of my Brat. It doesn't autocross, but it's been through about 10 rallycrosses. It's hard to comment on what those shocks will do by themselves, though, since I have a swaybar from Selby's Swaybars (they took over Whiteline's EA81 production) in the rear as well, but I'm pretty impressed with how much crap can be in the back without it sagging very much.

Jacob

So, it's pretty standard around here to run GR2's front and Gas-a-just's rear?

Will this setup retain the stock ride-height adjustment?

You lose front height adjustment with KYBs. You can try to find different springs or change your wheel/tire size, though, if you don't like the height it's at. You can still adjust the rear. I never messed with the height of my Brat, so it was no big deal to lose front adjustability.

Lots of people have run this combination. If you search the forum, you can learn a lot more about other options, too.

Jacob