Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Brat Motor Swap

My gpa FINALLY gave me the brat thats been in our back yard for the last 10 years. I want to do a motor swap on in. Im between the LS1 and the STI motor. Which would be the best to do?

Easiest?

Fastest?

Also Where can i buy the parts to restore the car, ten years of missouri weather and racoons hasnt been the friendliest to this car, which was sitting in the open (unlike the 62 impala which was covered and no one wants)

:lol::lol:

You should probally have a look around the forum and read some past threads.

The search button is soft and easy to push, try that first.

Either way, you should not be in a hurry. Take your time, read, learn, then decide for yourself.

LS1? HAHAHAHAHAHA, I wanna see that :grin::eek:

My gpa FINALLY gave me the brat thats been in our back yard for the last 10 years. I want to do a motor swap on in. Im between the LS1 and the STI motor. Which would be the best to do?

Easiest?

Fastest?

Also Where can i buy the parts to restore the car, ten years of missouri weather and racoons hasnt been the friendliest to this car, which was sitting in the open (unlike the 62 impala which was covered and no one wants)

So which Brat is it? A gen1 or gen2 version?

Also, do yourself a favor and get it running before you spend big bucks for an engine and find the the body is so rusted it couldn't support the engine.

Restoration parts are not availible. You will have to buy/barter/beg/borrow/steal the parts from donor cars and Brats of similar vintage.

If you are looking to do a full restoration you are looking at probably 3 to 5 years to find parts and/or parts cars, and an STi swap is going to be a serious affair - it's been done a handful of times thoughout the world (mostly in countries that had STi's long before we did and thus have an easier time with swapping them). You will be looking at a lot of time an money investment to do such a thing as well as custom fabrication and parts. Figure $8,000 to $10,000 for an STi front clip to donate and many thousands more for the restoration.

GD

well the cars body isnt in bad shape. all the parts are there, and in pretty good shape (some rust that my body guy said is fixable)

The interior was going to be fully replaced. my brother was wrong the floor of the car is still there.

ive seen a wrecked STI for about 2k being sold by an insurance company.

the LS1 is the most do able and i already have access to everything i need for that, mostly. my friend is obsessed with that motor.

We had 2 other brats, a black turbo and a silver one.

The black one was blown up. The silver one had a bad clutch.

They are being stored, and i can probably get stuff from those. I mostly just need to know what all i need for the swap at this point.

Good luck with that - no one has ever done such a thing, and no Subaru transaxle short of the STi 6 speed would even handle that kind of power.

I sugest you get real friendly with the search function as you have a very steep learning curve to approach something like an STi swap on an EA81 body. You don't even need to bother searching for LS1 swap info - it hasn't been done and never has been discussed here.

STi wreck's are often VERY nasty. Even if you got the car for 2k, you would need a lot of replacement parts and the cost will still be much higher than what you bought the wreck for. An intact front clip from a USDM STi that was t-boned or rear-ended hard enough to be a total is not something you will find for 2k. Likely what you saw was a mess and would take several thousand more in parts to even use the drivetrain from it.

GD

Restoration parts are not availible. You will have to buy/barter/beg/borrow/steal the parts from donor cars and Brats of similar vintage.

If you are looking to do a full restoration you are looking at probably 3 to 5 years to find parts and/or parts cars, and an STi swap is going to be a serious affair - it's been done a handful of times thoughout the world (mostly in countries that had STi's long before we did and thus have an easier time with swapping them). You will be looking at a lot of time an money investment to do such a thing as well as custom fabrication and parts. Figure $8,000 to $10,000 for an STi front clip to donate and many thousands more for the restoration.

GD

What version STI are you talking about here? We can pick up a complete roadlegal mid-90s V4 STI for around $8000 - $9000 NZD here, which is about $6,300USD.

Examples here, here and here.

Not trying to be rude, but can I ask what you base these figures on? I could understand maybe a very late 2000s model front cut, but would love to see one on a website or something.

now i dont know how big an LS1 is but we have a couple of 1UZ toyota v8s rolling around in WRXs over here, so if its possible to fit and EJ20t (which i am unsure if it is) you should be able to fit a LS1....possibley need ot make lots of custom bits, gearbox tunnel/crossmembers/engine mounts/relocation of steering rack etc....im sure it coul dbe done it you thouhgt about it enough, would have to be RWD which would make its own probs too.

now i dont know how big an LS1 is but we have a couple of 1UZ toyota v8s rolling around in WRXs over here, so if its possible to fit and EJ20t (which i am unsure if it is) you should be able to fit a LS1....possibley need ot make lots of custom bits, gearbox tunnel/crossmembers/engine mounts/relocation of steering rack etc....im sure it coul dbe done it you thouhgt about it enough, would have to be RWD which would make its own probs too.

Yeah, come to think, I have seen a WRX up in Auckland with an SR20DET out of a Nissan in it.

For all the money your are potentially planign on spending on your Bi-drive Recreational All terrain Transporter (bet you didn't know what it ment did you) you might as well go ahead and spend the money on a rod or muscle car of same calue and go play with the big V*'s and have something.

Either lurk around here and find out exaclty what it is we do and have done to these wonderful cars we call subaru or go roddin, but not both.

And crying out loud loose the I am still a teenager even though I'm not mentality of everything needs to be fast, big, and or euro rice and keep it simple. Use th BRAT as a fun learning tool, and then go on from there.

i have seen it done.

david talent is very well known for taking motors and putting them in cars they shouldnt fit in.

your an rump roast hole.

bye!

Being a smart rump roast kid is certainly going to get you lots of help here. Good luck with your project.:rolleyes:

What version STI are you talking about here?

2004 was the first US model of the STi. Anything older than that and you have to get a RHD clip from europe or japan and that comes with it's own special set of problems (not to mention import and shipping costs). So - they are pretty prized over here since we have only had them for 6 years. Wrecked STi's that have a completely salvageable drivetrain go for a pretty penny. Hell - just the 6 speed's go for a couple G's typically.

As for putting V8's into an EA81 body..... LOL. An EJ20/EJ22 leaves about the width of your hand between the crank pulley and the radiator. People have put H6's of various vintages into them and either moved the radiator to the top of the engine or done several smaller radiators off to the sides. Additionally the hood-line of the EA81's is a lot shorter than the WRX's and it would take a major redesign of the entire front end for the hood to close and the oil pan to not scrape the pavement with how tall a V8 would be in there.

Could it be done? Sure it could. Wouldn't be a Subaru anymore and probably would only slightly resemble one. It would be a Brat shaped drag machine. Might as well build a tube frame and put Brat looking fiberglass on it. That would actually be easier.

Oh - and this aint the kid that's going to do it either. Anyone want to take bets on that statement?

GD

Edited by GeneralDisorder

2004 was the first US model of the STi. Anything older than that and you have to get a RHD clip from europe or japan and that comes with it's own special set of problems (not to mention import and shipping costs). So - they are pretty prized over here since we have only had them for 6 years. Wrecked STi's that have a completely salvageable drivetrain go for a pretty penny. Hell - just the 6 speed's go for a couple G's typically.

GD

2004? WTF! Even in NZ we've had STIs for well over 15 years. Thats incredible. What version was the first US one?

You know why they weren't imported? Some silly US law or something? Or was it just the whole RHD problem?

Oh - and this aint the kid that's going to do it either. Anyone want to take bets on that statement?

GD

I'd wholeheartedly agree with that statement. Lol.

You know why they weren't imported? Some silly US law or something?

I suppose it was both due to emissions laws as well as because I don't think Subaru thought they had a market for them here. There are a lot of factors - the last EJ turbo for the US market prior to the WRX was the EJ22T in the '94 Turbo Legacy.

Pretty much I think Subaru figured they couldn't sell them. It may/may not have been a mistake but consider that fuel was cheap and we have a lot of powerful sports cars here already. Rally racing wasn't as popular back then, etc. The market didn't exist basically.

Subaru eventually created the market with the success of the WRX and then eventually offered the STi to complement it. They still sell a lot more WRX's than STi's.

GD