Ultimate Subaru Message Board

96 Legacy stalled, restarted, gave P0335, what to do/check?

Hi, I was stopped a light last night with my '96 Legacy Brighton, 2.2L, A/T, 123k miles. Then it stalled. I tried to restart a couple times and it wouldn't. After about the third or fourth try it restarted, but the CEL/MIL came on.

I read the code and it was P0335: CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION (CRANK)

Then I drove it home and it was OK. Does the crank position sensor tend to go bad on this era soob? Just wondering because if yes I'll just replace it.

When I got home, with it idling, I tried poking around the wiring harness and shaking them to check for loose connections, but I was unable to duplicate the issue.

edit to add: Not sure if it's related, but it's also been regularly throwing DTC P0141: REAR OXYGEN SENSOR HEATER CIRCUIT MALFUNCTION, but I've just been resetting it each time.

What should be my next steps?

Edited by porcupine73
add P0141 info

Does the crank position sensor tend to go bad on this era soob? Just wondering because if yes I'll just replace it.
Yes, they fail occasionally. Not sure how to test/daignose for sure though. I have so many parts lying around that I just swap something this simple.

Used would be a good fit for some people due to low cost , ease of replacement, and low probability of failing again.

Ok thanks, I'll order a new crank position sensor then. Fortunately I just found $100 Subaru bucks I hadn't used.

I'll poke around at the rear o2 sensor when I get a chance. I know I ordered a new sensor a couple years ago but I don't remember if I ever put it in. Too many soobs too many parts haha.

Thanks for all your help!

Ok thanks, I'll order a new crank position sensor then. Fortunately I just found $100 Subaru bucks I hadn't used.

I'll poke around at the rear o2 sensor when I get a chance. I know I ordered a new sensor a couple years ago but I don't remember if I ever put it in. Too many soobs too many parts haha.

Thanks for all your help!

the rear o2 sensor can be generic.

i've never read here about a rear o2 sensor code and one being bad. is there a chance it is a wiring problem?

the rear o2 sensor can be generic.

i've never read here about a rear o2 sensor code and one being bad. is there a chance it is a wiring problem?

And it was Blu :P, but it was also at 230,000 miles. They do last a long time back there. I had to replace it again at 236000 miles when i smashed it wheelin.

But like Gross said, the cheapest generic rear sensor works.

The heating element is part of the circuit and is more likely to fail than the connector.

but depending on where the car is, it is possible that the connector has been dragging in the snow for a while. i'd still look for a wiring problem before i bought a replacement.

i searched p0141 and found 10 threads. one actually included the p0325 code and the same symptoms as this one. i read most of them and they pretty much follow what has been said above. but no solution feed back one way or the other as to wiring or o2 sensor.

but depending on where the car is, it is possible that the connector has been dragging in the snow for a while. i'd still look for a wiring problem before i bought a replacement.

i searched p0141 and found 10 threads. one actually included the p0325 code and the same symptoms as this one. i read most of them and they pretty much follow what has been said above. but no solution feed back one way or the other as to wiring or o2 sensor.

Indeed,but,experience says heating element.