Ultimate Subaru Message Board

*..More Horsepower?..*

Ok, I have aquired an 84 Brat, and am wondering what are a few easy mods I can do to generate some more horsepower for now, and what are some things a little more drastic that I can do in the future? If you could give me a list of the things, along with what kind of increase in horsepower for each item, that would be great. This board is great!

Ken :D

Conversion to a 5spd instead of the 4 makes it feel like its not stuck under itself so to say. Could do a carb rebuild or convert to a Weber Carb too. You can get some thru going to more of a dual exhaust setup but its not much in my opinion.

Some guys on here are making some pretty amazing EA81 engine upgrades.

Plug some of the keywords into search here for good results.

The Weber is easy, and good for probably another 25 HP along with a free flow exhaust.

After that, it's time to open up the engine - higher cam being the biggest benifit along with decked heads. The EA71 (1600) pistons will also increase the compression slightly. Everything together, can yeild around 150 HP or so.

The EA82 is a lot of work, and will only give you another 15 HP, and considerable complexity besides. Also has the disadvantage of requireing timing belt changes every 60k miles, and they have problems with cracking heads, and blowing head gaskets. Not a good choice for an off-roader.

GD

i hate to burst bubbles but a weber won't add 25 horse power, maybe 10 at the crank, it may add a fair amount under the curve, but not 25. that said the weber and a good exhaust is a great starting point for getting more pep out of your car. however if you want to get real power try this, this is what i'm doing with mine

1600 pistons, raises compression

deck heads .015, raises compression

1.70 intake 1.42 exhaust valves, more flow

Weber, more flow

Free flow custom exhaust, more flow

Delta Cam, more flow.

Disty recurve, more torque

Try some of that and you'll have more power than you can deal with.

NoahDL88, i think he ment with a weber and exhaust a 25hp gain.

i know that after i put on my new muffler my car doesnt stumble like it did, off throttle is alot better, and seems to run a little smoother.

i highly recomend getting a weber, exhaust, and a cam. and you should have plent of power, but if your like me and need more, then have the heads pocket ported, larger valves put in, shave them a few thousandth's, the 1.6lt or 1600cc pistons, port match the intake, and redo the dizzy for more bottom end torque and you should be good.

i know a weber makes a huge difference over the stock hicrappy..

prolyl a good 10-15 hp

as an example.. my llifted hatch with those big 27's will flat out walk away from my stock 89' ea81 hatch.. i'm talkin a good 100 yards ahead of the stock hatch on an on ramp.. and thats starting out at the same time. lol

so you wanna figure how much power those big tires chew up, and its still faster.. its gotta be a decent amount of power gain.. really..

Beautiful!!!!! I am the owner of an 84 Turbo Brat and I must say they are great.Your location just says Ashland, is that in Montana.

If so its nice to here from another EA81 owner in this area.If you want to do some off roading PM me and I could go there and have some fun. If you are not in Montana ignore everything past great.

Hey Matt,

I'm pretty sure that you can get away with running an aftermarket muffler as long as there is a muffler on there. That's what I was running until a few months ago and just changing out the muffler made a big difference in the high-end power. Yeah, our emissions regs suck here. I just hope I don't get caught:D .