Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Q's Doing rear brakes on '96 Brighton

Old school guy here.Just getting to know these Legacy's.

So the e-brake is on the rear now.And all this time I could have been abusing my wife's car.Is that mechanical(cable) or hydraulic?

The real question is what do I need to do to get the drum off.I tried knocking the adjuster out through the elongated hole in the back plate,no luck.But,I was in a hurry and gave up quick.

I had to go so I packed it up.Just looking for an answer before I go back at it.I've done plenty of brakes,just doing my first Legacy.

Do all Legacy's have a brake rotor that is only fastened when the tire/wheel is on?I do like the way the caliper piston pushed right in.Not like the 80's.

Moosens,

I have a 96 Brighton also.

Yes the rear drums are free to pull when the wheel is removed. When all is normal, a pull of the finger is enough, a light tapping outwards with a hammer at most.

The e-brake is cable activated.

I did the rear shoes once. About a year and a half ago. Did'nt like it much. Too much fiddling with naughty springs and small rusted levers. Guess I'll replace all the hadware in there next time I open things up.

Corrosion can sometimes make it difficult. Try some PB Blaster at the hub/rotor interface and insert two bolts into the rotor (you'll see where it's threaded. Lube them a little) to force the rotor off. If they start to move, but drag, then you'll have to move the shoes in with the adjuster.

Occasionally, I've needed a little heat to bust mine loose after a couple of winters.

Take the little rubber plug out of the back and use a small screwdriver to push the adj. lever away from the star wheel, you will be able to fell the movement when you get on it. Then take another screwdriver through this same hole, find the star wheel and push the handle down towards the ground to turn it in the right direction. If this fails due to adj. that may be rusted you can get a big puller and pull the drums off, the hold down pin will pull through the little washers that hold them on. I had to do this once not because mine was rusted but because I did not know how to retract the shoes. Once I got it off I experimented with how the system worked and made me a little special tool for pushing adj. lever away from star wheel, and then wrote it down and drawed diagrams. The only thing I had to replace after pulling mine off with puller was the little washers for the pins, however I can not say for sure that is all it will tear up, as I have only done it once. I wrote this thinking you had drums only, if you have rotor drum combination then I wasted our time I dont know anything about them.

I have yet to see a rotor/drum combo.....

I thought these DRUMS had a self adjuster like late 80's Subarus.I'm familiar with the star from other cars.Didn't know Subaru changed design.

I'll get a good eye in there and 2 thin blade screwdrivers and I'm sure I'll get through it clean.

Thanks for the help.