Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBS Junkyard Fix (Heavy on the pics)

gwilson87

Good to see an update G!

I've been curious.

Is that running the 2.2? What are your all-in-all overall impressions of the 2.2 pushing the dual range? I'm reconsidering the D/R swap....again.

I bet the off road capability leaves no comparison with the ol 2.2 and AWD..

Fuel economy running FWD vs. AWD?? Or did yhou not drive it enought before the tranny swap?

I'm curious about lots overall.

Thanks for the update and the new sweetness up front looks naahss!

catch you later dude! (maybe the rally on Feb 19?) :clap:

clutch pedal swap...? Do you mean clutch in general? I used a clutch from an xt and a flywheel from an ea81 machined to the xt specs. .91 step face or something.

Im still in the "gathering parts" mode and thought I had read somewhere that the pedal assembly had to be swaped due to different clutch wire/clutch pedal connections. Maybe it was for a different swap?... or they dont know what their talking about, kinda like myself from time to time.

whats next for your OBS, the spare tire gate?

Next will be adding to the front bumper with some more tubing so it is covering the front of the uni-body. And then adding some steel mesh like sewer grate to prevent rocks and logs from hitting the radiator and jazz but allow for air flow. And then... I dunno. I don't think I will do a spare tire gate ever. I want to get a better gear basket sometime and I will just rock my spare tire up there (once I get one)

• Like 1

I did the solidworks of it. but otherwise i bought the bumper as is, and had some friends who know how to weld make everything work. so it cost like like $50 in parts, and some burgers.

It's nice, though i dunno if i can go full bumper on an MY02 OBW

Yeah, that's probably what i'm gonna end up doing, except a bull bar cause my car is too nice to put anything but a real nice bumper on. I got close friends who run a bodyshop, and it is literally 1 block from the scrap yard, i'd walk if i wasn't gonna carry back a bunch of steel. I think they are up for it, and it gives my buddy a chance to use his plasma cutter. They are actually gonna fix my OBW, i just hit a F250 so i need new bumper skin and various parts of the bumper, and headlights. Also fender work, hood work, and a little paint on top of those banged up areas, they are very good at body work and undercut any estimate i get so :brow:. Them doing my bumper rebuild allows me to take some measurements to make the bull-bar while the car is on a lift.

Now back to your car, which i like quite a bit. The Tube bumper is very nice, can't wait to see the full incarnation of it.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really should pay attention to my thread...

The 2.2 is doing just fine pushing the car around. it can handle freeways but isn't going to set any records thats for sure. drove it down to a big subaru meet here and back just fine, then the next morning went to drive to work, made it less than a mile before the timing idler gear blew out its bearings... so Gir now has a new water pump, semi new pulleys from my wrx motor, and a new timing belt and oil change :) drives great.

The trans is holding up PERFECT. It drips a very small amount of oil right onto the exhaust which i need to do something about, but its a VERY small amount. I haven't done anything to the fluid since the last rebuild i posted about and when i checked the fluid a few days ago it looked brand new still and right at the perfect level. Sad news is that one of my outer cv boots got a crack in it and is starting to throw some grease, gotta get that taped up or something before it looses all the grease. Here are a few pictures for the masses.

196337_10150450522735604_578470603_18153741_8386614_n.jpg

DSC_1313.jpg

I've only put maybe 1200 miles MAX on the trans since the last rebuild. It doesn't get driven too much since work is only 4 miles away and if I have to drive anywhere too far the wife is coming with me and I can just take her car. Longest trip its done in one shot was 70 miles on the freeway and it felt good. not the most stable... but it did its job. :) Hopefully the snow stops so the roads will open and I can get back into the hills.

• 2 months later...

Hey i realize this post has been going for a while but im in the process of working on my 98 OBS and had a question for you: When you lifted your OBS did you attach the origonal sway bars? grab the SBs from the forester you lifted from? Grab just the endlinks to attach?

Im looking at just doing an OB lift (not too tall), beefing up the suspension and spacing out the tires to counter the change of CoG from the lift. Any help would be GREAT! Thanks

Edited by Yourripper

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but I have a few questions:

-How did the impreza drive shaft mate up to the dual range transmission? Did you have to custom that up? Lengths seem like an issue there.

-What did you figure out for a dual range shifting setup? I know there are many ways, but I'm curious about your solution - inside the cabin and in the transmission tunnel.

-How did you interface the impreza speed sensor (if it is electronic, not cable) to the dual range trans?

Thanks for your response and patronage to the community, if you're still online here.

Edited by kanurys