Ultimate Subaru Message Board

98 OBS Junkyard Fix (Heavy on the pics)

gwilson87

I wonder how hard it would be to find some (more than one) and get the mount shipped over:confused:

As for the D/r, I'd find one of the EJ AWD D/r trannies and go from there unless the solid axle goes through (I likie!!! I likie!!!) I'm eventually going to put a lift and EJ D/r into my 98 Legacy Outback.

Ditto on the gravel express rear tire kit from overseas!!

Newsoobdude,

have you started looking into what it takes to get a D/R AWD? If you have a better solution that importing one from australia or europe, I'm on board with your plan!!! That is what I've come up with in getting one here... :confused::mad:

• 4 weeks later...

Been too long. Yeah, my hands hurt too much to type much (i used a file to make my holes wider on the flywheel, took awhile but it saved me some cash) Here are a few pictures of whats going on.

EA Dual range 5 speed

CIMG0053.jpg

flywheel goodness.

CIMG0054.jpg

Poor car sitting next to the house feeling neglected. Notice more lights on top :banana:

CIMG0055.jpg

Wife wants her garage back. It isn't even that dirty :rolleyes:

CIMG0056.jpg

Ten points if you know what this is.

CIMG0058.jpg

DING DING DING!!! We have a winner! When the original driveshaft snapped a u-joint whilst driving it smacked the cat hard enough to put a crack through the honeycomb. I let it be and tada! it perished. Also yeah i haven't had time to get to a machine shop and explain the re-drilling process. so I only spent like 4 hours in the garage with the file. sucked but was cheap. Gonna test fit it tomorrow and then just need to get bolts for the adapter plate, and a clutch. And get the flywheel re-surfaced.

• 3 weeks later...

got my flywheel and clutch all mounted up :banana: Now is the debate of what to do for axles. I could do as austin did and put EA82 DOJ cups on the end of my impreza axles, or I could try and replace the stubs in the front diff to have 25 spline and then I could just use newer axles. Any thoughts as to the difficulty level to doing such a thing? Im scurred i would open the trans and gears would just come falling out all over the place haha.

I got some stuff done. Here are pictures to prove it.

Whats this here...

CIMG8356.JPG

Make sure the flange is looking like this, if not then rotate it because the other set of gears won't go back in if its opposite, trust me.

CIMG8357.JPG

Front Diff from my stock OBS 5 speed. 3.9 gearing with 25 spline stubs so I can use my stock axles.

CIMG8359.JPG

DO NOT FIDDLE WITH THIS!!! I did, things slid around, little pieces of metal fell out, spent forever getting it back together and I am hoping everything went back together right. This is the 4wd gear stuff (I don't know technical mumbo jumbo)

CIMG8360.JPG

One day my wife might get to park her wrx here again...

CIMG8364.JPG

This little stub here...

CIMG8366.JPG

Lines up with this little hole here...

CIMG8367.JPG

Looks like everything is there.... :-\

CIMG8372.JPG

Yay!!!! :banana:

CIMG8378.JPG

Main case together, gonna let the sealant dry then torque up, then get the rear case on tomorrow.

CIMG8379.JPG

25 spline obs axle on 5 speed dual range trans. Makes me a bit giddy :grin:

CIMG8381.JPG

8-0. . . .

NICE work dude!! We should hang out more! I want to play with your tools and your garage when we do a similar project on my rig :rolleyes:

If only there wasn't the 4.5 hour drive... :mad:

Good on you with the arborwear G! I knew there was something about you, well besides the subaru thing, that let us get along so well. :lol:

Again nice work bro, I'm psyched to see and ride in the dual range IMP. I've thought for a long time that would be the ideal rig...

Arborwear FTW! I'm not an an actual Arbor, but my parents get me a new pair of their pants every year for work and they are the bomb! I am hoping I can get this full time job at the college and they will pay for my training to get tree climbing/pruning cert. Along with benefits and insurance and blah blah, I just want to climb trees!! :grin:

If it is done enough on time, the wife and I might take a trip to moab and arches on our anniversary in august if I can talk her into it. The harder part would be talking her into driving that long in a car with no AC, and not as comfortable seats. That AT WRX with cruise control and cold AC has spoiled her.... :rolleyes:

Your parents own arborwear?!?! :slobber::slobber::slobber::slobber:

I worked in trees in Oregon a few years ago, and my boss (Phil Frazee of Arbor West) knows John? (owner/operator) and sold me on them...

They're like Carhartt with a gusseted crotch!

Can't beat it, tough as hell and articulated!! :banana::banana:

Tree climbing and arboring in the canpoy is FUN!!!! Blake's hitch yo!

Anyhoo, i try to get some new ones every couple years, usually looking for the seconds bin..

Yeah!! I will be around in later august (out the first weekend), definitely let me know if you are going to make it down...

I can understand not wanting to do 5 hours to SE UT w/o air in August, BUT it'd be SOOO much better with the dual range down here!! You're welcome to camp out in our yard (I'd offerhte spare room, but that's my baby's these days :rolleyes:).

Ciao!

I love your attention to detail :)

Whats this here...

CIMG8356.JPG

Make sure the flange is looking like this, if not then rotate it because the other set of gears won't go back in if its opposite, trust me.

CIMG8357.JPG

Front Diff from my stock OBS 5 speed. 3.9 gearing with 25 spline stubs so I can use my stock axles.

CIMG8359.JPG

DO NOT FIDDLE WITH THIS!!! I did, things slid around, little pieces of metal fell out, spent forever getting it back together and I am hoping everything went back together right. This is the 4wd gear stuff (I don't know technical mumbo jumbo)

CIMG8360.JPG

One day my wife might get to park her wrx here again...

CIMG8364.JPG

This little stub here...

CIMG8366.JPG

Lines up with this little hole here...

CIMG8367.JPG

Looks like everything is there.... :-\

CIMG8372.JPG

My parents do not own arborwear. The scout camp my dad is a chaplain at in the summer sells them and so for my birthday every year they send me a new pair for me to wear as work pants. They do last forever unless you rub up against some leaky batteries. Now I am heading to the garage to finish assembling the transmission, and hanging a new pegboard to try and keep the garage a bit cleaner.

IT DRIVES!!!! took a quick trip to discount tires

Photo_072310_001.jpg

Test fit some 215/75r15's to see how they fit

Photo_072310_002.jpg

Very little rubbing in the back, probably take the mudflap off I will be fine. Might get some paranoid fabrications strut tops just to give a little extra clearance for the tires. Ordered these in the 215-75-15

yokvl3.ang.jpg

Should be here thursday!!!! So stoked!

CIMG8359.JPG

Hopefully the lack of a bevel on the IMP ring gear, for the D/R shift collar, won't interfere with anything. Or at least swapped over the ring gear onto the IMP chunk. I would have used the original D/R's front diff and just swapped axle stubs.

I've learned to be wary of mix and matching gears that have already been meshed for millions of rotations toghether. Also with a new ring gear in there I hope you rechecked the endplay and lash adjustment. Don't mean to be a downer......just keep your fingers crossed and I'd suggest changing the fluid every few hundred miles for the first thousand or so. Watch it for signs of wear.....and adjust the diff if needed.

CIMG8360.JPG

That is the Dual range shift mechanism. the 4wd engagement is in the rear extension.

But we get waht you mean. those little sliders and springs are a beaaach to get back toghether when they pop.

Overall nice work and love the pics. Hopefully everything goes smooth for you.

Got any pics of the trans crossmemeber and mounting?

Yeah since I don't know anything about building transmissions I didn't check endplay. :banghead: I didn't check backlash with putting paint on the ring and spinning it (as I was told about doing so 2 days later...) but I did spin it back and forth feeling for give and it felt very solid. I am definately going to be taking it easy for the first 1000 and change out oil every 200 or so. Found another 5 speed trans on the cheap around here so I might go buy it just to take the front diff and scrap the rest. Either way, for the moment its driving good and shifts well so that makes me happy.

I will post up some pics and more info about the skidplate. I was lucky enough to find this hunk of aluminum in my parents backyard and my dad said he didn't need it so... YANK! Basically I drilled two holes through the front frame, and then bolted two 2" blocks to the cross member and it spaced it away from the headers perfectly. The only thing I am slightly worried about is heat build-up over longer drives due to air not flowing across the exhaust headers... Any input from people who have skidplates?

The gauge cover things i found on ebay almost 4 years ago. I haven't been able to find anything like them since.

Edited by gwilson87
gauges.

• 5 months later...

really been since july since I posted anything about this thing...? man I suck. Well it daily's really good. Does freeways alright, doesn't like to go uphill loaded with people to go skiing more than 25mph. makes me want to run an extra knob to have fwd lo... but here is whats happening tomorrow.

166398_10150383831860604_578470603_17197946_7069191_n.jpg

really been since july since I posted anything about this thing...? man I suck. Well it daily's really good. Does freeways alright, doesn't like to go uphill loaded with people to go skiing more than 25mph. makes me want to run an extra knob to have fwd lo... but here is whats happening tomorrow.

166398_10150383831860604_578470603_17197946_7069191_n.jpg

time for the frankenmotor swap! what did you do for your clutch pedal swap?

Edited by impoutback 97