Ultimate Subaru Message Board

93 Legacy L - Shifter Bushings (and other questions)

Been driving with a sloppy shifter for a while now, and it's leaning heavily to the right. It works okay, but I know I need new bushings. I've done some searching and found lots of great info about the bushings, except for where to get them!

- So my first question is, where do I get them? Is the dealership the only option? Because I haven't had any luck finding them online at all.

- Second, and this is totally unrelated, I'm wondering about washing under the hood. I'd like to spray it down and rinse it off and such. Any recommendations on this? Should I use a power washer at a self-service car wash, or go through an automatic car wash to get the underside really good too? And what parts besides the battery should I be concerned about getting wet?

Your insights are always appreciated... so thanks in advance!

So my first question is, where do I get them? Is the dealership the only option? Because I haven't had any luck finding them online at all.

There are several different sets of bushings in the shift system--shift lever, positioning and universal joint.

The u-joint bushings are the ones that usually totally fail. They're Subaru parts. Try calling Jason, the Parts Manager at Mike Scarff Subaru, 866-528-5282.

I used aftermarket for the others--Kartboy and TiC: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=68989&highlight=shifter+bushings

Gotta' warn you--it's a PITA job . . . but well worth it!

Last time I called those guys, they said they didn't know anybody named "Jason." Which is weird, because everybody here talks about him, but I guess I'll try again.

Also, where did you buy the aftermarket bushings? Is there a site I can get them from? Your thread never specified a source for those bushings. Thanks for the input though!

Last time I called those guys, they said they didn't know anybody named "Jason." Which is weird, because everybody here talks about him, but I guess I'll try again.

Pretty sure he's still there--I saw him in person in January!

Also, where did you buy the aftermarket bushings?

Bought them directly from the companies--Kartboy and TiC. You should be able to Google them.

Btw, I was looking at this schematic... http://opposedforces.com/parts/legac..._shift_system/

...and I couldn't even see a u-joint bushing listed there.?

The numbering sequence seems weird on that drawing. The "boss" (u-joint) bushings appear to be #4 and #5 but are listed as "6" and "8" in the parts list. Suggest you speak to someone knowledgable (like Jason!) when you order and don't just order by part number.

The shift lever bushing is also shown as #4. That's the one I got from TiC.

The "stay rod" bushings are #24 and #25. Got these from Kartboy.

Good luck!

quote.gif

My Kartboys were listed as '97 or '98 and newer--but worked fine in my '95. Don't know about '93.

The fellow at TiC was great, cut a shifter bushing specially for me. Again, don't know about sizes for a '93. Truth is, the original bushing wasn't in bad shape, I probably could have lived with it (but the new TiC part felt super smooth so I'm glad I pursued it.)

Here's my followup:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=75993&highlight=shifter+bushings

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

So here's an update. I contacted both Kartboy and TIC, neither of which had any info about what kind of bushings would fit my '93, and so were not able to help.

Then I called Jason, and he found all of the stock bushings I would need and said that they would be good for about another 100k miles with how much I drive. Therefore I decided to just go with the stock bushings and ordered them from those guys. Altogether with about $10 shipping it came to about $45 or so.

When the bushings come in I will post part numbers here for anyone else who might want to know. Incidentally, Jason said that the bushings used in my Legacy will fit Legacies up to '96. After that some of them change, while some are the same, so it gets trickier.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got them in the mail (from Mike Scarff Subaru). Here's the part numbers in case anyone else needs them...

Two 35035KA030, at $10.23 ea. And four 35035AA030 at $3.61 ea. Shipping was $9.95.

Looking forward to having a properly working shifter again!

So here's an update. I contacted both Kartboy and TIC, neither of which had any info about what kind of bushings would fit my '93, and so were not able to help.

Then I called Jason, and he found all of the stock bushings I would need and said that they would be good for about another 100k miles with how much I drive. Therefore I decided to just go with the stock bushings and ordered them from those guys. Altogether with about $10 shipping it came to about $45 or so.

When the bushings come in I will post part numbers here for anyone else who might want to know. Incidentally, Jason said that the bushings used in my Legacy will fit Legacies up to '96. After that some of them change, while some are the same, so it gets trickier.

Gotta love parts staff that can find part numbers that fit your car and not simply say the computer says! or I can't find it! +1 for Jason!