Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Waterwagon 3 Build-up, and the SJR+EJ Lift Thread!

Ratty2Austin

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this the first AWD to D/R conversion on the board?

No.

Clifford has had a Dual range for almost 2 years.

I made a thread about the 4.11 AWD dual range we made for him. It blew up.....might work with a few tricks next time......

But for now he just has a 3.9 EA D/R with an adapter plate.

P1010008.jpg

There was a Forrester around somewhere too, and somebody's got an Imp with a D/R as well.

Been done. Not enough:grin:

I ma making plans for a D/R in my OBS. a buddy has a few adapter plates like the one I used in my brat's EJ swap so I will hopefully use one of those. my only problem is what to do with axles so I am going to be watchign this thread closely for details. Better not short us out on pictures!

my only problem is what to do with axles so I am going to be watchign this thread closely for details.

Split the case of the D/R and replace the 23 spline stubs with 25 spline stubs from EJ front diff.

Or buy 93/94 FWD (MT?) Impreza axles.

I advise swapping to 25 spline stubs, as then you can use beefier 2002+ Forrester, Outback, or WRX front axles.

I ma making plans for a D/R in my OBS. a buddy has a few adapter plates like the one I used in my brat's EJ swap so I will hopefully use one of those. my only problem is what to do with axles so I am going to be watchign this thread closely for details. Better not short us out on pictures!

I did some playing around with the axles- I found out that if you disassemble the DOJ side, you can use the DOJ cups and innards form either EA82 23 spline axles, OR the rear DOJs from gen1 legacy/imp axles.... they fit onto the standard 25 spline style front axles! :banana: (to make them 23 spline legacy/impreza axles)

I have a pile of axles and bits that I will get photos of, and hopefully be able to lable- so that everyone will know which ones fit where and how to do it! :)

So yeah, you don't have to use FWD 93 MT axles anymore (unless you have them that is) just grab a bunch of axles and mix-n-match the ends till you get the length and spline count you need!

pics coming soon....

Oh, and Thanks Jerry!!! (for helping me get my driveshaft to the Yakima driveline shop) hopefully in a week Waterwagon 3 will be driving on all 4!

I was wondering if the cups would swap over. That really really excites me that they do. My buddy is telling me I need to hold off and do an AWD D/R so I still have awd, but when I can easily get a 5 speed d/r at the local pick and pull on half of wednesdays.... makes it pretty tempting to go for fwd occasionally. I am going to just wait for your trial and error before I do my d/r and on board air :grin: pretty convenient that we have somewhat the same plans eh?

they are not all interchangeable...........good luck.:)cheers, brian

True, but enough of them are, that all the ones I had in my "pile" did interchange, so its pretty good odds you can get the combo you need in a day at the junk yard :)

A very small write up on axle part swaps would be so amazing to see, something you could take to the jy with you and find the right thing for your project, whatever it is. I hear about quite a few combinations mentioned here, but I havent seen a sticky!:)

Love watching the progress!

Here are some pics of my (sorta) recent work, since I have been busy and not posting them.. but now that I have gotten around to uploading them, here are some of the pics to go with the things I have done!

I have already posted a pic of the engine, finished- but here it is apart/close up....

861202672_JgSwN-M.jpg

Ohhh mechanical adjust lifters!

861203207_8ZGQf-M.jpg

resealing the leaky things....

861203976_E3xe7-M.jpg

something else I will need to address soon, is repairing/replacing my exhaust stuff... it seems to have a tiny bit of rust.... :eek: strangely enough, it does not leak!

874655339_VzD4V-M.jpg

next on the menu, was to swap trans from EJ AWD 5MT to the EA D/R 5spd....

before....

874655024_EmJbT-M.jpg

side by side... the one on the left is the EJ 5MT, the right is the EA 5spd D/R.... notice the location of the crossmembers? :)

874654722_tP8HR-M.jpg

874654614_axBo3-M.jpg

the EJ is just a little wider though, so I will use the EJ's X-member, and re-drill the holes where the EA mounts on the tranny bolt onto it...

874654419_Vpm5w-M.jpg

the wiring is easy- the neutral and reverse switches just unscrew from the EJ trans, and go right back into the same places on the EA trans- the switch bodies are the same! this makes that easy... the 4wd lights will just be custom later on...

874654117_u5xhx-M.jpg

the "speed sensor" replaces the speedo cable, and screws right into the same spot! (and it works just fine too!)

874654226_4TmWm-M.jpg

all empty, and ready for the new pieces to go back in...

874654014_5yWQk-M.jpg

and now the trans is in!

874653724_hcsZz-M.jpg

Edited by Ratty2Austin

more....

here is the D/R trans from underneath, mounted... note that the former EJ-rear trans lift blocks are no longer needed (might be used later for skid plate mounts or exhaust brackets?)

874653651_QWDHX-M.jpg

now the interior looks like this...

874657373_xmNiV-M.jpg

notice the rust on the clutch stuff- this was after I attacked it with the wire wheel for a bit- the PP and disc I pulled out of a scrap pile, which was sitting outside in rusty water pool for about a year or so.. :lol: it will be fine!

874653181_75Kic-M.jpg

sometimes it's just easier to get in there with your engine while bolting things in...

874653084_ryr2k-M.jpg

looks like Scott's EJ-EA stuff works pretty nicely!! (easy to install!)

874652893_uWuEo-M.jpg

engine bolted in and things bolted back on....

874652772_X93Eh-M.jpg

for those who are wondering what to do with the pitching stopper, if you do the 3" SJR lift AND/OR D/R swap, I re-drilled the hole where the top bolt goes into the bracket that is part of the firewall... then the bottom (trans) side has the slider, and the bracket can be interchanged between the EJ and EA trans (you will need the bracket from the EJ trans if you have an EJ car) Since the pitching stopper is composite- you can't just lengthen and weld it... some might think that is easier. (but you could just use an older metal one and do it that way)

874652720_69som-M.jpg

and if you are wondering, the tape on the heater hoses (that are NEW) is actually just electrical tape with some pop can in there for armor- so it wont rub thru on the places that it touches the body/brackets... I guess the alternate plan would be to make some mounts and zip tie them, or just get generic hoses later on...

874652677_k2A9M-M.jpg

I think i'm defenately gonna have to do something about that low hanging exhaust...

874657460_cjqKb-M.jpg

estimated time for completion of the driveshaft- mid next week, it's still out at the shop in Yakima...

after that, it's snorkel time, and finishing touches on the D/R swap... then more more more! (skid plates, stereo system, paint job/stickers?) :)

Wooooohooooo!!!! It's drivable again!! :banana: I got the driveshaft installed today, and things are coming together!

(although I have some things to work out and tweak into the right places, etc..)

Today's work...

Here is the shifter knobs- notice how at rest, this is the "before" photo of the 5spd stick- it's way off to the side... that does not work well (still shifts right, I Just have to reach way across the car, and I already have long arms)

882327016_vCFTh-M.jpg

Next to cut the tabs off the shift link, and re-weld them in a slightly different spot, and bend the crap out of the lever- (still needs bending, but I will get to that later)

882326144_5v9ZF-M.jpg

here it is, back installed and in it's new spot...

882325978_Chskx-L.jpg

The other key ingredient, is the Driveshaft- now NEW and lengthened in Yakima (with new grease-able bearings!)

882326895_p3L3p-M.jpg

882326776_ebJUG-M.jpg

A little comic paint job, to spice things up a bit too... :lol: (watch out! it's venomous now!)

882326266_gyuXB-M.jpg

and it drives nicely!! a little loud with the tires, but FWD, 4wd and 4wd-lo work like they should! :)

(now I need to go find some terrain to get some bettah photos)

882325854_mNwci-M.jpg

:slobber::slobber::slobber:

LOVE IT!!! When I tried to get a straight driveshaft the guys at six states laughed at me telling me subies weren't worth their time and if I tried to put a straight shaft in there it would blow up. Hence why the brat has a carrier bearing :mad: But everything looks sick tight yo! Can't wait to see some "bettah" shots :grin:

• 2 weeks later...

Austin your subie turned out so dam sweet! im counting down the days til i am back and can get started on my own installation.. I was curious what all had to be lengthened once all is said and done, besides the steering shaft? And do you think I would be able to keep my AC? That looks so sick! I need more pics in the dirt!!! - Robbie

So Matt has his lift installed, and I made him his steering shaft without trouble :)

Although, he got 29s for his wagon!! :eek: so it looks pretty awesome! (with fender trimming though)

notice in the pics, the load in the back of the car ;)

892614511_JDET6-M.jpg

892613870_M2LvE-M.jpg

892609781_vMPeQ-M.jpg

892613298_yBa5E-M.jpg

And yeah, I need to get some wheelin' shots soon- but my exhaust is broken at the cat-mid pipe joint, so it's leakin and making things not run right... :-\

I also have been moving, so no time to get things worked on... but, the new place has a garage and decent driveway- (and its closer to work) so I should be able to get all my major mods done before WCSS12 :banana:

moving.... the random stuff...

892615585_K4htx-M.jpg