Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Waterwagon 3 Build-up, and the SJR+EJ Lift Thread!

Ratty2Austin

Hahaha.... Pink Zebra stripes would be..... ummm.... awesome? !

So today it drove out of the driveway and down the street and back under it's own power!!! Although, there will be some trimming and pounding that will need to be done (surprisingly not much though!) The important part will be getting the hoses and stuff under the hood replaced/repositioned to fit the 3" drop....

I got the steering shaft all welded up....

825446446_85BbU-M.jpg

Then we put them across the street, (Noah's legoGT, and Waterwagon3) parked off camber in the grass....

825444326_azq3b-M.jpg

825443586_37zCw-M.jpg

825445815_bEjTf-M.jpg

WOoohooo!

so now that it's lifted, its time to get the D/R installed, and add things like Snorkel, A/C air compressor, CB radio, Skid Plates, and A-bar bumper add ons... :) Oh, and a bunch of colors, thanks Tex!

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time you are offroad and the wheel stuffs into the well, you will be rubbing hard at the rear of the wheel.

But I guess it looks better on the highway. Hopefully it isn't too far toed out from moving the trailing arm back but not the crossmember.

Why will they rub offroad? The legacy rear suspension doesn't articulate towards the back like the ea series does. Just curious why you say it will rub because I don't think it will..

Why will they rub offroad? The legacy rear suspension doesn't articulate towards the back like the ea series does. Just curious why you say it will rub because I don't think it will..

Actually it does.

We had this problem in Clifford when trying to run longer trailing arms.

In the end we decided the odd look of the wheel being forward was better than stuffing against the back of the body and having bad toe out.

It's drivable!!!! (with the small tires) :lol:

But today, before switching back to the small tires, I did an articulation test for everyone that I know has been dying to see it done ;)

I started out with just the ramp, but that was too lame... So I staked up a set of the small tires... and it still had more flex to go!!! (all 4 tires still on the ground!

826134594_BXG6f-M.jpg

826133601_DsmaP-M.jpg

826134238_eGogy-M.jpg

I also did some cleaning up of the engine bay- removal of the un-needed A/C stuff (don't worry, I left the compressor, and some end pieces of the hoses for the future Air tank mod!)

826137785_eeecn-M.jpg

826136996_3hTAB-M.jpg

826136750_NuhFx-M.jpg

Now, time to get the D/R swap going!!!

Still need a clutch and pressure plate for EA82..... Might have to run to E-burg to gather up the used ones from generous doners :)

Glad to see the air intake hose worked out for ya.

Yeah! thanks for holding onto it for me!

For those who didn't notice, that intake snorkus is from Waterwagon 2... it was part of the EJ18 engine setup! :lol:

Go figure that it would be the one part of Waterwagon 2 that lives on in its successor!

However, the IAC hose doohicky is too small, so it does not idle very high (which is nice, but..) it doesn't start without some help from the accel pedal.... but thats ok I guess for now...

Had a little shake-down road trip yesterday, 3 passengers trusted my handywork enough to LEAVE THE COUNTRY! with it.... :grin:

827586389_mA2LG-L.jpg

After going to shop SJR to pick up some other parts n things, we decided to head north for some Tim Horton's, and Sushi...

827590949_AWTDP-M.jpg

827592263_2Aq6G-M.jpg

I know, it's not an offroad test.. but Waterwagon has made it from Seattle to Vancover BC and back again, without trouble! :banana:

Sickness!

I'm serious about zebra striping this or camoing it.

I can grab some vinyl, and we can go to town. Buy me Wendy's or something, we'll make it happen. Maybe have Noah over for a partay.

:banana:

Yes zebra stripes.

Hell carbon fiber zebra stripes would be sweet too now that Tex has that expensive carbon wrap stuff.

I had a successful drive around the Eastern Washington loop- Visited Jerry, and Rob in E-burg/Selah, and did some camping too!

so far, the lift kit is working out well, and holding up to mild offroad and heavy loading (camping in car)

836426909_oYYbD-L.jpg

836431963_DMLQM-L.jpg

836417341_WzjUv-L.jpg

Thanks Rob and Jerry for the clutch part donations!!! D/R swap time up next....

Yeah, that was us, I was in the blue Leggo next to his

DAMN! I walked by when you guys where getting out! I seriously turned to my wife and said, "That's a lifted legacy, I would really like to have once of those someday. There's a guy on my forums that's lifting his and this reminds of that one. I wonder why he doesn't have nicer tires on it…" No joke about that either. I knew I should have said something! Serves me right for being "shy" once in my life. Well, it was nice to almost meet ya! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the comments so far! And yeah, I know I need better tires... (read previous posts and see photos of why I can't put the super swampers on quite yet..)

As for Leavenworth- I guess we will have to meet up next time, if you are around again- defiantly at WCSS12!

Speaking of WCSS12, we had to go see it, nice location!

836407249_Deuje-L.jpg

Thanks for the comments so far! And yeah, I know I need better tires... (read previous posts and see photos of why I can't put the super swampers on quite yet..)

When I said that I didn't realize it was you ;) Once I found it was actually your car, the small tires made sense :)

As for Leavenworth- I guess we will have to meet up next time, if you are around again- defiantly at WCSS12!

I am hoping to make it, but we shall see what the wife says :rolleyes: I will be around for sure, I love my subie!

Keep up the good work man, can't wait to see this thing with swampers and a D/R!

I had a successful drive around the Eastern Washington loop- Visited Jerry, and Rob in E-burg/Selah, and did some camping too!

so far, the lift kit is working out well, and holding up to mild offroad and heavy loading (camping in car)

836426909_oYYbD-L.jpg

836431963_DMLQM-L.jpg

836417341_WzjUv-L.jpg

Thanks Rob and Jerry for the clutch part donations!!! D/R swap time up next....

Some beautiful scenery you guys have up that way :) Will have to do a USA mission at some stage and come wheeling with you guys!!

....the NZ boys will show you how its done.... :grin:

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend I spent a bunch of time resealing waterwagon's engine, and preparing it for the D/R swap....

so far today, all I managed to get done was the engine clean up....

861202811_3havj-M.jpg

although, it seems to have lost some weight :lol: (belt covers are over rated anyway)

861202299_e9BrT-M.jpg

more pics later... tomorrow I am hoping to get the D/R trans installed and get the engine re-installed..

Hurray!!! It drives down the street under it's own power!!!

(in FWD mode, that is!) :lol:

Still need a rear driveshaft....

Got one priced out (custom, new) at a shop in Kirkland, but they want like... 500+ bucks for it :eek:

I am hoping someone has a cheaper driveshaft makin' shop in mind? (Jerry? Scott?)

Other than the driveshaft, the remaining mods (for now) are the snorkel, and finishing touches on the new D/R shifter console... (and also, BFH-ing the inner fender wells or removing splash guards so that the tires and struts stop rubbing...)