Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Waterwagon 3 Build-up, and the SJR+EJ Lift Thread!

Ratty2Austin

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, life things have gotten a bit hectic, but I have managed to squeeze some time in with working on the wagon, so I have a few photos of the progress and play time :)

adding in some pond liner (thanks Yo'J)! to keep the water, mud, air and sound at bay...

911857349_LKzLB-M.jpg

yeah, I did not take the most conventional nor the most efficient approach at adjusting where my shift lever went.. (and I will probably need to get a new full linkage at some point and do this over again) but it works, for now (although I can't shift into 5th gear due to this thing hitting the edge of the tunnel)

911857092_avCqf-M.jpg

and now it looks a bit better, and is a lot quieter too, while driving...

911856805_nY8CT-M.jpg

I still need a shift boot (ea82 style?) if anyone has one they want gone that would be awesome ;)

I of course had to go drive into the ditch in front of the house, (sway bar attached in the front, so a little less flex now)

911856479_mQEuZ-M.jpg

911856346_wPZ3H-M.jpg

and I made a appearance at a NASIOC meet and greet today...

911857755_AxELy-M.jpg

And this is what happens with the lowered car crowd when they see a lifted subaru! :lol:

911857481_nd6ci-M.jpg

• 4 months later...

Well, it's been a while since I have had any updates here- The most recent being my road trip to Arizona with Waterwagon, and it achieving an impressive 30mpg average overall (GPS verified!) and no trouble at all on the trip!

Someone asked me about the "summary" of what has been done to the wagon, so here is a brief listing of the mods, to sum it up to date....

~reseal engine, keep stock (removed timing covers)

~used 27x9.5 x r14 Superswampers

~3" SJR prototype lift kit (bolt in)

~outback strut swap (adds 1.25" lift over stock and room for larger tires)

~removal of sway bars (needed for lift and articulation benefits)

~5spd Dual Range Transmission swap (with SJR adapter and re-drilled EA82 flywheel) and custom Driveshaft (for length and making it one piece) and 2 Prodrive shift knobs, for awesomeness!

~rear disc brake conversion (from 91 legacy L, brighton did not have disc rear)

~outback instrument cluster swap (brighton lacked tachometer)

~entire suspension is from 91 parts wagon (original brighton parts were rusty, due to it being an east coast car) so that gave me the old style rear diff and axles as well...

~disconnected AC components and removed condenser (with intent on future use of compressor as an air compressor for tools or tires)

~CB antenna and mount, wired and ready, but still need a working CB!

~wide screen mirror (5panel) to replace the standard rear view that was a bit floppy :lol:

1053842011_JZ3iV-L.jpg

1054030087_XVqaK-L.jpg

Today I got a few of the little things "upgraded" in the wagon, and I also gathered some more parts, including tires for the beast!

Here are some of the things from today and the past few days... (multiple trips to PAP, and a big SCORE at PAP!)

Dashboard stuff.. I have a Brighton, which means, boring. No tach, all black plastic, ect.. but some of this I do like, such as the crank windows and non power anything :) but the no tachometer was a bit bothersome sometimes..

797282626_CRraU-M.jpg

So while at PAP, I found a 98 OBW that had struts, and a good cluster!

797282446_BpTRz-M.jpg

So an easy swap, and viloa!

797282151_J2BmR-M.jpg

For those of you who are curious about swapping clusters for whatever reason, they are interchangeable- the Brighton/L/OB since the plugs on the back are the same....

797282251_Sxe8N-M.jpg

I also got a slick wood grain vent trim piece too!

797281752_VVmEq-M.jpg

As far as other big pieces of the puzzle, here are the other big parts finds....

Not an LSD, but it does go with the item in the photo below..

797282927_B2x24-M.jpg

5spd D/R, and 98 OBW struts!

797293096_VdpaJ-M.jpg

Oh, and of course, I did say I found tires... (thanks Noah!)

797292922_Uk89b-M.jpg

Yep. 27x9x14 TSL SuperSwampers!

(slightly used)

797283030_QK5ze-M.jpg

Oh, and here is my "Score" at PAP.... 98 OBW, and a 86? GL 4wd wagon, right next to eachother! and someone had already pulled the engine out of the GL, and left me a 5spd DR!

797283384_xGCsG-M.jpg

Sweetness!

more coming up soon!

is that last picture at pull a part...?

Well, it's been a while since I have had any updates here- The most recent being my road trip to Arizona with Waterwagon, and it achieving an impressive 30mpg average overall (GPS verified!) and no trouble at all on the trip!

Someone asked me about the "summary" of what has been done to the wagon, so here is a brief listing of the mods, to sum it up to date....

~reseal engine, keep stock (removed timing covers)

~used 27x9.5 x r14 Superswampers

~3" SJR prototype lift kit (bolt in)

~outback strut swap (adds 1.25" lift over stock and room for larger tires)

~removal of sway bars (needed for lift and articulation benefits)

~5spd Dual Range Transmission swap (with SJR adapter and re-drilled EA82 flywheel) and custom Driveshaft (for length and making it one piece) and 2 Prodrive shift knobs, for awesomeness!

~rear disc brake conversion (from 91 legacy L, brighton did not have disc rear)

~outback instrument cluster swap (brighton lacked tachometer)

~entire suspension is from 91 parts wagon (original brighton parts were rusty, due to it being an east coast car) so that gave me the old style rear diff and axles as well...

~disconnected AC components and removed condenser (with intent on future use of compressor as an air compressor for tools or tires)

~CB antenna and mount, wired and ready, but still need a working CB!

~wide screen mirror (5panel) to replace the standard rear view that was a bit floppy :lol:

1053842011_JZ3iV-L.jpg

1054030087_XVqaK-L.jpg

Awsome car! great work looks really good! :banana:

ps. what kind of camera do you shoot with...

Reid

is that last picture at pull a part...?

Yep, the Lynnwood yard! It was a few months back...

Awsome car! great work looks really good! :banana:

ps. what kind of camera do you shoot with...

Reid

Camera (s)

DSLR= Canon 5DmkII with an assortment of lenses- (24-105mm F4 L IS, 70-200mm F4 L, and a 17-35mm F2.8 L, all Canon)

P/S= Pentax Optio W80

In my photo gallery, you can click on photo info to see what photo was shot with what camera, and the settings too- I have had other cameras in the past, so that could help you figure out which photos are from my older cameras as well

(previous cameras= Canon 40D, and Canon 300D (Rebel), Pentax Optio W10 and Nikon Coolpix2100)

Yep, the Lynnwood yard! It was a few months back...

Camera (s)

DSLR= Canon 5DmkII with an assortment of lenses- (24-105mm F4 L IS, 70-200mm F4 L, and a 17-35mm F2.8 L, all Canon)

P/S= Pentax Optio W80

In my photo gallery, you can click on photo info to see what photo was shot with what camera, and the settings too- I have had other cameras in the past, so that could help you figure out which photos are from my older cameras as well

(previous cameras= Canon 40D, and Canon 300D (Rebel), Pentax Optio W10 and Nikon Coolpix2100)

Awsome man I enjoy seeing high res. pics! i dont have a camera but my roommate does! all my pictures are with my cell phone haha :mad:

Nice i am at lynnwood PAP every weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
So Matt has his lift installed, and I made him his steering shaft without trouble :)

Although, he got 29s for his wagon!! :eek: so it looks pretty awesome! (with fender trimming though)

notice in the pics, the load in the back of the car ;)

892614511_JDET6-M.jpg

892613870_M2LvE-M.jpg

892609781_vMPeQ-M.jpg

892613298_yBa5E-M.jpg

And yeah, I need to get some wheelin' shots soon- but my exhaust is broken at the cat-mid pipe joint, so it's leakin and making things not run right... :-\

I also have been moving, so no time to get things worked on... but, the new place has a garage and decent driveway- (and its closer to work) so I should be able to get all my major mods done before WCSS12 :banana:

moving.... the random stuff...

892615585_K4htx-M.jpg

Hey... I think they are more like 28's and I didn't trim my fender I trimmed my front and rear bumpers :) Fenders were fine. And yes that was probably about 500lbs of wood at least in the back in that photo!

Edited by SuperRallyRoo

Well, the 27's aren't much bigger than the stock outback tires, so if you have the Outback AWD trans, it has the 4.11 (I think...) but the Brighton has a 3.9, just like the GLs... I rarley use the low range, as it is actually pretty low... the acceleration difference with the larger tires is noticeable, but not horrible...

Chux- is the 1986 D/R trans really have a 1.6 to 1 ratio for the low? I thought it was only a 1.2:1

It's the AWD ones (like from the RX) with locking center diff and 3.7 front/rear that has the 1.2 lo range. The FWD/4WD ea82 dual ranges have the 3.9 diffs and 1.59:1 lo range.

The '85-'86 RX trans also had the 1.2, and it's PT4WD.

but yea, only the RX low range is 1.2. N/A ones are 1.6

Did they still have 3.7 diffs though?

Yes, I believe any of the EA82 series vehicles born with GD's favorite engine :rolleyes: EA82T, manual transaxle's are 3.7. Push button single range, FT4WD single range , the 85-86 RX part time dual range, and the 87-89.5(?) FT4WD dual range.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, after today with the Hatch Patrol and the xmas tree run, I have discovered a few more things that will be changed soon...

along with a short hill climb I did after the tree run along the highway, and I re-decorated my exhaust by backing into the ground (ditch)

You can see the tire tracks in the grass from where I went off course, and backed up into the ditch and rammed the muffler into the ground.... (behind the car)

1114908787_NGJYw-M.jpg

1114908954_8s2bn-M.jpg

Oops!

Yeah, it was scraping each time i hit a bump, all the way home- and it was pinched... so I went to the auto parts store, and hacked it off with a hack saw right in the parking lot.. so until i can figure out how to mount the new one (sidepipe?) it's open exhaust just forward of the x-member!

and this is what's hanging out in the back seat for now...

1114908526_A3txS-M.jpg

time to do some welding!