Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Legacy w/ ABS brake fluid bleed

I am getting ready to bleed my 91 and my brothers 93 both with ABS.

Any issue with doing the old school way, having someone inside press on pedal, then on each brake end with hose and wrench opening and closing?

I have done many times on my GLs, Loyales, etc. but not sure if was OK with ABS.

Thanks, closet wheel first??? To ABS module or Master Cylinder?

Also is this because of the ABS?

I have always done/been told to start at wheel farthest away from master cylinder when bleeding.

Closest wheel first to the....

Hrmmmm

Good question. Passenger side front is the closest wheel because it has the shortest brake lines.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/BrakeSystemWin01.pdf

Surprisingly (learn something new every day) it is right Frt, Left Rr, Left Fr, Right Rr.

Make sure you don't push the pedal all the way to the floor. Put a 2x4 under the pedal so the master cylinder pistons do not move into areas they have been in years.

If you want, run down and you can grab my pressure bleeder and use it. Works great and no pumping.

Larry

Make sure you don't push the pedal all the way to the floor. Put a 2x4 under the pedal so the master cylinder pistons do not move into areas they have been in years.

If you want, run down and you can grab my pressure bleeder and use it. Works great and no pumping.

Larry

Brilliant!!! Block under is great idea, I usally tell my help (wife or son) not to do past 3/4 way down but this is much better way to make sure!

Thanks Larry if I was heading down your way I would take you up on the offer for sure.

Closest wheel first to the....

Hrmmmm

Good question. Passenger side front is the closest wheel because it has the shortest brake lines.

http://endwrench.com/images/pdfs/BrakeSystemWin01.pdf

Surprisingly (learn something new every day) it is right Frt, Left Rr, Left Fr, Right Rr.

I learned the above info after I had already bled out my brakes last summer. I didn't know better, so I did the left side, then the right side. Used a "one man" bleeder system that worked just fine. Old brake fluid looked like iced tea. I just kept pumping and adding fresh DOT 3, until the bled fluid became clear in color. No issue with the brakes afterwords. Car has ABS, didn't seem any different then changing fluid with non ABS.

With diagonal split brake systems it doesn't really matter which way you bleed it just as long as you see clear fluid with no bubbles and don't let the fluid in the reservoir run out.

Now triangulated brake systems like the ones Volvo uses are a bit different. There is a procedure because the front calipers are dual piston and have a separate line for each which is tied in with the rear calipers. To add to the complexity there is a lockout valve which cuts the flow to one half of the circuit in the event that brake pressure is lost, so if you stomp on the pedal too hard during bleeding it closes the valve, which is a royal PITA to reset.