Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Radio Feedback with lights/brakes

I assume you mean 'alternator whine' when you say 'feedback' in the radio. It could be due to excessive ripple voltage due to bad diodes in the alternator but also check the grounding to the chassis. Make sure the leads are clean.

I assume you mean 'alternator whine' when you say 'feedback' in the radio. It could be due to excessive ripple voltage due to bad diodes in the alternator but also check the grounding to the chassis. Make sure the leads are clean.

Its more of static sound then "alternator whine" and only comes on when I have Brakes on or charge my cell phone.

This sounds more like a grounding issue to me than a alternator issue. You may be hearing ignition pulses. Check the antenna ground along with the chassis grounding.

Great idea, I how many does a Legacy have?

I know about the one by the batter, and the two near the windshield.

Am I missing any others?

-R

There are something like 2 dozen chassis grounds in various places on the car. You're going to want to look at interior grounds. I'd check the two on either side of the transmission tunnel directly under the dashboard. There should also be one or two under the drivers side of the dash. Remove the lower kick panel and look up under the dash. All the wires going to it should be black or brown.

As a test you can also make your own ground lead jumper. Using at least a 14 gauge lead tie one end to the minus side of the battery and the other to a good ground point to see see if that makes any difference. If it does then you have to find the bad ground.