Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Who makes the OEM timing idlers & tensioner 1998-1999 EJ25 DOHC

I thought there was a list of OEM bearing manufacturer's somewhere on the site but I can't seem to find it.

I need to know the maker/part number for the OEM Timing belt Idlers (Smooth & Cogged) and Tensioner (new style 1-piece) for 1998 (or 1999) EJ25 DOHC.

I.E.: NSK-12345 or NTN-6789 or XXXX-YYZZ ?

note: Not the Subaru #'s

Thanks

So you just want the bearings? The necessary information is printed on the bearing seal if you have any of those. I would think it's been listed before, have you searched?

I need to replace the parts that have already been installed in my engine. The belt is easy, it needs to be a Subaru stamped item, but the idlers & tensioner aren't Subaru stamped, so I can get NSK, NTN or whatever is the same as would be in a Subaru box.

I've tried a bunch of different searches here & on other boards but sometimes getting the right search terms can be a pain.

I have never actually heard this before until I tried doing a quick search:

If the idlers are like the tensioners in the EA82 engine, the bearings can't just be pressed out and replaced. The older tensioners have the inner race held in by peening over the inner shaft; once that's destroyed there's no way to use the original with a new bearing.

I didn't find any instances of someone actually replacing the bearings, very odd for this community who's quite adept at DIY. I've removed the front grease seal before and regreased the existing bearings. Thing is your bearings are actually fine they're just devoid of grease. Regrease them and they're smooth as new. But it's not easy doing it either.

I've been going with the Ebay kits - they're cheap and include all new pulleys. I plan on inspecting them at 30,000 - 50,000 miles. I don't leave my timing covers on (well except on the one with a timing chain!! LOL), so they're easy to check.

Edited by grossgary

I have never actually heard this before until I tried doing a quick search:

I didn't find any instances of someone actually replacing the bearings, very odd for this community who's quite adept at DIY. I've removed the front grease seal before and regreased the existing bearings. Thing is your bearings are actually fine they're just devoid of grease. Regrease them and they're smooth as new. But it's not easy doing it either.

I DIY whenever I can, but its still kinda cool out here & I needed a longblock R&R, so I didn't do the work myself, this time. :-\

I've been going with the Ebay kits - they're cheap and include all new pulleys. I plan on inspecting them at 30,000 - 50,000 miles. I don't leave my timing covers on (well except on the one with a timing chain!! LOL), so they're easy to check.

It sure looks & sounds neat on the engines with timing gears, though. I've seen this on a few older Toyota race-prepped cars. Just don't put your hand in there when the motor is running ... :eek:

BTW, I'm not referring to just the bearing, but the complete Idlers & Tensioner pulleys as they'd bolt onto the block - the equivalent to a Timing Belt kit, less the belt.

The parts are already in the engine, in the car, otherwise I could look at them & read the numbers off the seals.

Ah hah you mentioned "bearings" in the first post, so that's confusing.

If you're looking for a Subaru supplier of the actual parts, you're not going to find any. That's a Subaru only item. The online Subaru vendors have cheaper than dealer prices, you can search for those here as they're mentioned all the time. But the local dealers, particularly if you have a good relationship with them, have always matched those prices for me. They're giving those prices to all the local shops and mechanics anyway, so it's no big deal to them.

The Ebay kits are the only other option but they do differ from the Subaru pulleys a bit. Those same kits are available elsewhere, but you won't find the actual Subaru parts for sale.

The shop did the right thing as far as keeping the car long term. Normally you don't need to replace everything, but on an interference engine you don't want to take a chance since it'll cause internal engine damage if anything fails.

The only cheap solutions are the ebay kits or not replacing the pulleys and inspecting them once or twice between belt changes. Both of those don't appear to be options for you.

Downside to the US online sources is many won't ship to Canada and if they do shipping costs/customs brokerage fees usually kill the deal.

Online the Subaru parts are generally in the $50+ each range. There was a post on here about timing parts/gaskets and there were varying opinions. I think one poster used Idlers & Tensioners from theimportexperts.com (Subaru P/N's).

Ebay kits are another option but some say they are good, some say bad. YMMV.

Edited by Mike104

Ebay kits are another option but some say they are good, some say bad. YMMV.
I talked to him offline and he's not interested in those Ebay kits for interesting dynamics that don't matter - but the fact is those are off the table for this situation. Subaru only pulleys.

That would be interesting info, the supplier P/N's for the Subaru P/N's. We know that Subaru does not manufacture the idlers and tensioners but issues a spec and picks a manufacturer to supply them. Of course then there is the discussion of whether or not the OEM manufacturer supplies exactly the same part (spec wise) as the part supplied to the car manufacturer? I would expect that they would only make one design/build of the part and perhaps supply ones outside of the spec tolerances to the aftermarket. In some cases they may be prohibited from selling "Subaru" spec parts in the aftermarket. Sounds like a great topic for a Master's thesis in a business degree!

:banana:

Hey guys,

Sorry for not replying quicker, for some reason the board is not sending me email notifications?!?

Yeah, there are a number of makers who supply Subaru with parts (likely to spec), but I can't see Koyo making an Idler bearing for Subaru and another for the aftermaket simultaneously - wouldn't make economic sense, especially when the bearing/OEM marketplace is so competitive.

So far, I can tell you that for the CDN market (and presumably the US market as well) the current makers are:

13073AA142 Smooth Idler Pulley (x2) = Koyo

13085AA085 Cogged Idler Pulley = NSK

13033AA042 Belt Tensioner (1 piece - complete) = NTN

When I've sourced them, I'll edit this post to let you know where I picked them up.

I have the numbers from the bearings, but as grossgary helped me to understand (thanks for your patience, Gary :) ), these are bearing NOT assembly numbers, so they are of little/no use.

Vic

That would be interesting info, the supplier P/N's for the Subaru P/N's. We know that Subaru does not manufacture the idlers and tensioners but issues a spec and picks a manufacturer to supply them. Of course then there is the discussion of whether or not the OEM manufacturer supplies exactly the same part (spec wise) as the part supplied to the car manufacturer? I would expect that they would only make one design/build of the part and perhaps supply ones outside of the spec tolerances to the aftermarket. In some cases they may be prohibited from selling "Subaru" spec parts in the aftermarket. Sounds like a great topic for a Master's thesis in a business degree!

Vic,

That is useful information. I have seen various suppliers for the components when perusing the various online parts suppliers. Often there is a significant price difference between various manufacturers. Now I know which ones to pick to get OEM mfg'd supplier units.

Thanks

Hey Mike,

I think you'll find that the OEManufacturer changes & probably fairly frequently as Subaru re-tenders its parts - I have a feeling that this probably is at least every time they have a replacement part number.

EG: the Current Koyo Smooth Idler Pulley is Subaru part number:

13073AA142 which superceded:

13073AA180 which replaced:

13073AA082

I have a feeling that these earlier numbers stand a pretty good chance to have bearings from another OEM (NTN, NSK etc.).

Vic

Vic,

That is useful information. I have seen various suppliers for the components when perusing the various online parts suppliers. Often there is a significant price difference between various manufacturers. Now I know which ones to pick to get OEM mfg'd supplier units.

Thanks