Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Monster wagon vr2 "Monster Sedan" build thread

Subafreak

this is most impresive build yet. now I wont to do it to my wagon.

Thank you very much. This is definitely the most work I've put into any of my projects. There are a lot of very impressive builds on here with a lot of very creative ingenuity. It amazes me the results people come out with here that don't have nearly the access to the tools and working environment that I have. I don't know how you guys do it!

Im definitely doing this job the hardest way possible. It maybe impressive but it wont be the best wheeler, I could have gone with strait axles for that. But it should be the most capable stock based suspended lifted Subaru out there, that's just the way I wanted to do my build. I wanted to keep it as Subaru as possible, even when upgrading or modifying to better parts from other Subarus. I'm in a very unique position of haveing access to a fully supplied shop with all the tools I need and tons of random supplies to work with. Everything from bolts to wires and tubing are right there at all times.

Thats why I have the ability to build it on the fly. I can't imagine how pain stakingly tedious it would be to constantly have to take measurements for supplies and count out how many of what hardware you need and them go hunting for it rite in the middle of a fabricating groove. I owe it to all these crazy subi off-road builders out laying on there backs, busting there nuckles with hand tools, running around all over town to make there dream a reality, to do a damn good job on my own car.

Besides there are a lot of us out there always trying to bring new and better ideas to the whole community so we can all enjoy being those weird people people that couldn't just go out and buy a jeep like everyone else.

That's why I never understood that ironically popular jeep windshield banner. Shouldnt we have one that reads "It's a Subaru thing, you wouldn't understand" ?

:)

• Like 1

Well that was a long day.

But! I got the other rear wheel well prepped, fabbed, welded, and treated! So it was a productive day.

0D812A2C-9D72-4610-9DA4-980F5D644381-11210-00001978E401DB88.jpg

This side had a bit more intrusive rot so I had to repair it up above my wheel arch line. So it looks like I'll have to do some bondo-ing anyway.

I'm gonna order this body filler from POR-15, it's supposed to work right over the POR-15 treatment so the metal underneath can stay protected and not just blow out the body filler in a year like you ussualy see with bondo jobs.

94BBD742-89FF-4FB2-ADFB-4E3EF4F7DEC8-11210-00001978DC90F48D.jpg

Hopefully Tomorow I can get the rocker panel repair done on this side and get everything seam sealed in.

?Weellz?

QUOTE=Subafreak;1151679]Well that was a long day.

But! I got the other rear wheel well prepped, fabbed, welded, and treated! So it was a productive day.

0D812A2C-9D72-4610-9DA4-980F5D644381-11210-00001978E401DB88.jpg

This side had a bit more intrusive rot so I had to repair it up above my wheel arch line. So it looks like I'll have to do some bondo-ing anyway.

I'm gonna order this body filler from POR-15, it's supposed to work right over the POR-15 treatment so the metal underneath can stay protected and not just blow out the body filler in a year like you ussualy see with bondo jobs.

94BBD742-89FF-4FB2-ADFB-4E3EF4F7DEC8-11210-00001978DC90F48D.jpg

Hopefully Tomorow I can get the rocker panel repair done on this side and get everything seam sealed in.

Thanks. I can't wait either!

I've also pretty much decided im gonna do an r-200 swap in the rear, because I know I'm gonna break another STi axle and probably spit out some more clutch packs. The price difference between stronger axles and a better limited slip for the r-180 is not gonna be any cheaper than custom axles and a locker for an r-200. So I think that's the best route to go. :)

Thanks. I can't wait either!

I've also pretty much decided im gonna do an r-200 swap in the rear, because I know I'm gonna break another STi axle and probably spit out some more clutch packs. The price difference between stronger axles and a better limited slip for the r-180 is not gonna be any cheaper than custom axles and a locker for an r-200. So I think that's the best route to go. :)

What ratio R200 are you looking for? Presumably you want the longnose R200?

81-84 280zx 2+2 5MT runs 3.90

90-92 Infinity M30 runs 3.916(47-12) on a 4 pinion open carrier.

4.11 R200s are out there but harder to come by. Check the hybridz forum for donor cars/years.

Edited by czny
yr correction

Yeah a long nose r-200 would be preferable since it would be close to the r-180 for mounting, and those seem to be the only ones that came with the 3:90s. Although from all I've been reading the closest they come is the 3:91 for any of them. I'm not to concerned about what carrier I get since I'm just gonna put a locker in it anyway, and the slight difference in ratio I'm hopeing won't be to much of a problem in a part time 4wd......hopeing!

On the tranny I'm useing I just welded the spiders on the center diff so that it is essentially locked in 4wd all the time. It's not as fancy as the couplers they sell but it seems to be just as solid and functional.

That slight ratio difference amounts to a diameter change of 0.10" for a 28" dia tire. That's the thickness of a nickle! Bouncing down a paved road you'd encounter more deflection than that.

A lot of the Nissan cv axles seem to share the same parts. 300zx axles slip into the M30 diff & vice versa. M30 inners are 6 ball cvs. 300zx inners are trunnions.

Maxima may share some common parts too from what I've seen at the yards.

Haven't dissected my pair of 720 axles yet, and I've got both 300zx & M30 axles to compare alongside those.

They do!? Wtf? Never knew that. What was there reason for that?

True

I can confirm that from my 1981 4spd manual trans supplement to the FSM. I believe it's all 4spd's, not just the 1st gens.

Cause? 35 tooth/9 tooth ring&pinion in the front diff. 39 tooth/10 tooth in the rear diff.

Subaru's reasoning????IDK

Additionally, Early 3AT Turbo, and possibly other 3AT trans use a 3.454 front(38/11), and a 3.7 rear diff(37/10), with a .933(42/45) 4wd transfer gear WTF )

Edited by Gloyale