Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Did some light wheeling today.....

subynut

Dad and I wandered over Montezuma Pass and checked out a couple of trails.

Snapped this on our way out:

4416191038_287a53b84f.jpg

That's out our back window!

This was off a non-marked trail that supposedly ended in a mile, but we went about 2 miles in, but had to turn around cause it was gettin' really rough and the storm was rollin' in. It was really windy out and forgot to take some pictures. However, I did snap this one during a pit stop:

4415405777_33ceacfde7.jpg

We continued back to Montezuma road and decided to take the trail the other way FR2726 and ended up at the US/Mexico border:

4415424937_761eab87b4.jpg

I knew we were close, but not 2 miles close!

4416176972_e940e08cff.jpg

Looking towards the Huachucas:

4416201004_7cf988999b.jpg

Stormy out:

4416183306_4bc3a45047.jpg

I turned around and zoomed in as far as I could go to get a picture of the pass:

4416181338_be6712ae0b.jpg

Then full digital zoom:

4416182080_628f1dc46e.jpg

You can almost make out the monitoring tower for the border patrol.

On our way to Parker Canyon Lake, we stopped and chatted with a border patrol man, as usual, he asked how things were with the USFS and after correcting him, he said "Oh, that would explain the missing markings on the side of the truck!" :lol: It started raining afterwords, but not enough to make any mud yet. :cry: Passed a few USFS trucks and waved as we passed by, dodged a front loader and a grader while they worked on the road and ended up at the lake:

4415423037_8b8785f2ef.jpg

4416502822_d508c076b9.jpg

Dead as a doornail! I wonder why? :lol:

4416503758_4f0aac4605.jpg

Very windy and raining, so, I couldn't get very many pictures. But we had a good time anyway!

Actually, I did go to church - both the morning and evening services. :grin:

Well, the closest to donuts I got was doing about 3 mph in 4wd crab walking on the trail cause is was so rough.:lol: That's the only downside with having Dad with - he frowns very heavily on being stupid on the trail. :(

great picures.

Thanks.

there will plenty of time for those donuts:lol:!

Yes, there definitely will be! Just have to find the right moment.:brow:

The only downside of a 1-ton truck is, when I'm spinning the tires, I have massive wheel hop unless there's about 900lbs in the bed.:mad: But, I can drop 8500lbs of trailer on the back and still maintain 65 in overdrive. :D

Edited by subynut
finished thought

Hey Ted, how'd you manage to get a "surplus" used USFS truck in such good condition? All the trucks from agencies like CALTRANS, NDOT, USFS that I've seen sold to private citizens are totally beat, look worse than my wagon! :lol::lol:

Great pix. Kinda reminds me of the areas east of Phoenix we used to go "looking around" in when I had my old Maverick (late '70s).

buddy of mine had 94 F250 power stroke. wheel hop is all it would do. it was 5 speed.

great on the highway though when you put you foot to the floor.:lol:

Thanks.

Yes, there definitely will be! Just have to find the right moment.:brow:

The only downside of a 1-ton truck is, when I'm spinning the tires, I have massive wheel hop unless there's about 900lbs in the bed.:mad: But, I can drop 8500lbs of trailer on the back and still maintain 65 in overdrive. :D

Hey Dave,

I picked it up from Cactus Auto Sales, one of the larger used car lots in Tucson, they had a whole slew of USFS trucks. They all looked in really good shape. I picked one of 2 standard cab V10 4wd 6sp manual trucks: a F250 and a F350 - I grabbed the F350. :brow:

It's the XL package so it has manual everything which reduces the amount of failures. It had 62k miles on it.

I killed my sportage - it just couldn't hold up to my abuse: the tranny again, broke something in the front driveline, engine leaked like a sive, and the interior plastic was crumbling. So, I went to a truck. I now can go farther than the lifted sportage and tow 13.5K lbs if I need to. All in a stock truck.:grin: It's nice being able to crawl up the side of the mountain in low+4low at idle and do the same thing going down without ever touching the brakes. Since it is a 1-ton, it has forced me to behave while on the trail because if I get too throttle happy, the light rear end just shakes me like a steel wheel on a rock bed and the tail goes first!

Only thing I miss is AWD; on wet roads, this thing is tire spin happy in 1st and second gear with no more than 1/4 throttle. Once I get to third, then all is ok. So, getting started from a stop in the wet is interesting and annoying when you need to squeeze onto a busy street.:eek: