Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi ALL!

I need to reattach my door trim to my '97 GT Wgn. I'm going to use good old Bondo, basically as glue. Is it still too cold here in MAss to use it? It's going to be maybe 50 today, i'll point the car into the sun to help out. Any ideas?

Many thanks, SubeeTed

IMO, bondo would not be a good gluing product. It just won't adhere well under any circumstances. The only thing that it will really adhere to a car is paint. Also, bondo won't "set up," to dry or harden unless the temp is in the 70's.

I guess you could try it for temporary use. If so, use a hair dryer to heat and dry the bondo.

I think you would be better off using some good glue, or even a trim adhesive that would be designed for that purpose.

Basically, you need an ambient air temperature of at least 65 degrees for any brand of body putty to work properly. Use it below that and it will not cure properly.

Bondo is a bad choice for trim attachment. You'd be better served heading to your local body shop supply and getting some 3M trim adhesive. Barring that, you can use any silicone adhesive. With either, make sure you tape the trim down securely after applying the adhesive for 24 hours to assure a good job.

Still, even with these, it might be too cold yet.

Bare metal is the preferred surface. However, if the paint is free of wax and is clean, dry, and especially if sanded to provide some "tooth", the filler will stick quite well. But that still doesn't make it the best choice for attaching trim.