Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What does Partial Zero Emission Vehicle mean??

Saw this badge tonight with wording " Partial Zero Emission Vehicle" on the lift gate of a Leggie OBW that was prolly a year or two old. I have never seen this badge before, and wonder what it means, and what mods Subaru did to create this vehicle.

Anyone know the answer?

Thanks Nipper for the educational link. Upon reading, sounds like reduced emissions results from using a more efficient cat converter, and upgraded ecu. Cost to owner is $200 added to price of new car.

Upgraded? Probably just de-tuned.

Upgraded? Probably just de-tuned.

NO, zGod i hate these old wives tales. Detuned means less effecient, and thats just BS. They have a higher effeciency cat, a faster cat warm up.

What is PZEV, a brief, simple summary

The EPA says a PZEV is the cleanest running gas car on today's market based on emissions testing for carbon-containing compounds, oxides of nitrogen, particulate matter, and other tailpipe nastiness. It is required in CA, CT, NJ, NY, MA, ME, RI, VT, PA, OR, and WA

1. A charcoal cannister catches unburned gas left in the engine when it's turned off so it doesn't just evaporate.

2. Fuel injectors that close tighter when they're not in use.

3. A finer mesh in the catalytic converter, as well as optimized placement of its precious metal.

4. The engine's electronic brain is tuned to run the hot at start up to help the catalytic converter heat up so it can start doing its job faster.

I don't see that many PZEV Subarus on the road here, but there are a few. An older Subaru that has already had the environmental impact of the manufacturing process amortized is more "green" than any PZEV or hybrid.

As for the "Zero Landfill Waste" plant,

http://www.subaru.com/company/environmental-policy.html

Regardless of what anyone thinks about ridiculous "green" craze sweeping the nation, not creating more landfills is a good cause.

I don't see that many PZEV Subarus on the road here, but there are a few. An older Subaru that has already had the environmental impact of the manufacturing process amortized is more "green" than any PZEV or hybrid.

As for the "Zero Landfill Waste" plant,

http://www.subaru.com/company/environmental-policy.html

Regardless of what anyone thinks about ridiculous "green" craze sweeping the nation, not creating more landfills is a good cause.

I live "down the road," in Indy, so a few times a year I drive buy on the Interstate and can see the plant off in the distance. It looks like a warehouse, with no smoke stacks, and no activity going on outside the building that I can see.

I have heard that plant tours are available upon making a reservation. I want to do that some day. I am sure it would be very interesting seeing Subies assembled.

I live "down the road," in Indy, so a few times a year I drive buy on the Interstate and can see the plant off in the distance. It looks like a warehouse, with no smoke stacks, and no activity going on outside the building that I can see.

I have heard that plant tours are available upon making a reservation. I want to do that some day. I am sure it would be very interesting seeing Subies assembled.

I passed the plant when on a business trip in Indy I did not get to do a reservation because I did not know if I would have time or not..

too bad I was driving a POS rental ford tarus.. some guy in a black back then 05 Legacy GT tried to show off when it was raining.

I was thinking to myself if only he knew I've owned 5 Subarus :P