Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Steve's AWESOME Brat

Splinter

Unfortunately, the only way you can get rear e-brake with a rear disc swap (aside from making front brakes fit the rear) is an EJ 5 lug swap or Nissan 240sx rear brakes.

I think the idea of putting EA front brakes on the rear is pretty cool, albeit a little more difficult than using another vehicle's rear brakes.

Just some input (plus if you look around the mod forum it'll give you some more ideas).

Twitch

I'm running 6 bolt wheels so those swaps aren't going to work for me. I'm not afraid of custom fab work...

Well, grab a rear brake swap and some EA front calipers and have at it. See if you can make some brackets to fit or use front rotors along with the front caliper or something. Let your imagination run wild and then pick the good ideas out and work with them :)

Twitch

... I'm not afraid of custom fab work...

If so, I did a Rear e-Brake retrofit onto my Subaru "BumbleBeast" without using nissan parts, nor Subaru EJ parts.

Look Here: ~► http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=134321

I Bet it could be easier to Swap the Rear Disc Brakes from a EA82 onto the Brat, you could drill their hubs for six lugs; the rest I explained in the Writeup.

Kind Regards.

Project d'jour.... Put a belt tensioner on my alternator belt!

It's just temporary until I figure out something a little more elegant but it's fixed the belt squeal I was getting.

246478_10151160167224609_441010790_n.jpg

Also finally welded in an O2 sensor bung and installed that, hopefully will help my gas mileage a bit...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So my fuel tank has started weeping gas again (lined it 2 years ago) so I talked to the guy who did my widebody on my Impreza and he says he can make me a new gas tank for not a ridiculous amount of money...

I'm going to pull the tank tomorrow and give it to him for a template, but in the meanwhile I still need to be able to drive the car to work and such, so I picked up a generator gas tank :D

183501_10151190824589609_1404335578_n.jpg

4.5 Gallons, just welded up a little mounting bracket that bolts to the stock seat bolt holes, should be plenty strong enough.

I may throw some junk on top of it though, I don't think it's STRICTLY legal... :P

• 4 weeks later...

Well my chevy drum brake conversion wasn't going very well, so I started looking at other options. Picked up some Justy rear drum brakes today and it looks like it's going to be exceedingly simple to get them to bolt on!

As far as I can tell so far it looks like I only need to build a tolerance ring and drill one new hole in the backing plate :headbang:

Rear ebrake here I come!

This really looks like it's going to work. The bolt holes aren't quite right, but I've machined up a few spacer rings that true it up perfectly so I can drill out the bolt holes.

I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Drums are the same size so you can reuse the stock brat drums.

How come there's no grease in your wheel bearing?

Same reason there's no shaft on the CV, it's a spare assembly I'm using for mocking this up, I threw the whole thing into the parts washer so I could handle it without getting covered in goo.

So I'm still working on the ebrake stuff at the workshop at my work, but at home I'm building a hitch bumper. Just something simple.

308845_10151236285349609_1712840559_n.jpg

The rear most mounts go to the stock bump bolt holes, the plate in the center goes to the bracket the fuel tank bolts to to support the tongue weight, and the front mounts bolt between the mustache bar mounts and the frame. I've probably way overbuilt it but better safe the sorry. I'll be towing at most 1500lbs, probably more like 1000.

Remember the front brakes have been upgraded to GM 1/2 ton pickup brakes and it's got an EJ22 :P