Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Clutch making chirping noises?

So my clutch is making noises which sound almost identical to tyres chirping. It does it when taking off, changing into second and sometimes into third. Also it doesn't do it if I don't rev when letting out the clutch. I've had this for a while now and just recently change the engine over for one with less miles on it. I found the old engines pressure plate and flywheel had some strange markings and was slightly dished out. So I used the new engines flywheel and pressure plate along with the old friction disc (as it looked in good condition and I've got a 5sp swap in my EA81 so I needed the EA82 friction disc and this was the only one I had). But it is still doing it.

There was no oil in there. The clutch grips great still. Can be in 4th gear going 60kph, push clutch in, rev to 5k and drop and it jerks and grips right away.

So I'm confused..

Problem with it, is it sounds like I'm driving like an idiot everywhere and I'm worried the cops are gonna pull me over for hoon driving soon.

Any ideas what the problem might be caused by? And a fix without swapping the clutch?

Not sure if the US uses the term Hoon.... it means driving like a d***h*** doing burnouts and spinning the wheels all the time.

Interesting... So you day the throwout bearing could make a sound almost the same as a tyre spinning?

If it is that... damn.... I really don't want to pull the engine out again. I just want to sell the freakin car.

Not sure if the US uses the term Hoon.... it means driving like a d***h*** doing burnouts and spinning the wheels all the time.

Interesting... So you day the throwout bearing could make a sound almost the same as a tyre spinning?

If it is that... damn.... I really don't want to pull the engine out again. I just want to sell the freakin car.

You can live with it for quite a long time sometimes

nipper

Heh. I "accidentally" filled mine with mud and then let it rust for a year. Yeah, throwout bearing, possibly clutch cable, possibly clutch fork... Mine's kinda musical and I will be sad when it fails. It's had a year + since that happened, and does not really seem to care much, though. Dropping the clutch makes the sound a little shorter, at the risk of glazing....

• 5 months later...

Just to update... I've changed the throwout bearing for a brand new one. Cleaned up the shaft it slides on, greased, new retaining clips, etc.. And it still makes the noise.

So I've changed the friction plate. And the throwout bearing. And put a return spring on the lever. Still getting the same noise.. I'm selling the car now so I don't know if I'll ever find out what was causing it. But I thought it might be a good idea to update on this thread that the throwout bearing wasn't causing it.