Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Grill guard/Deer wacker/Brush Guard

What ever you want to call it. New Subie owner here. I am getting a 1987 GL-10 Turbo Wagon today. It needs a few things (CV axle etc) . She will be a daily driver, kayak hauler/geocaching rig Has anyone put a grill guard on a Subie this old and if so please share any information you have.

Edited by Paddlegirl
lack of information

Before you get nuts with adding extra's, check out the cooling system and replace EVERY SINGLE hose before you drive it much. The EA82 Turbo you have is very prone to overheating, blowing head gaskets, and cracking heads. The cooling system needs to be maintained meticulously and upgraded if feasible. Watch the temp guage like a Hawk.

GD

Thanks for the info all. I did find the off road section, most look like custom grills. Other than the grill and a stereo I can hook my ipod to I wont be doing anything else to it. It came with good racks for hauling the kayaks so that is taken care of. I will watch the cooling system thanks for the heads up on it. I did edit my original post, it is actually an 1987, 95k original miles on it.

You are very, very lucky to have a turbo car with so few miles on it.

I've also had some experience with these older turbo engines (EA82T), and while they can be a TON of fun, the heat from the turbo can take its toll. You are in a great position to keep it in good condition since it's relatively "young." The low mileage also makes it worth investing a little more in the maintenance, compared to a non-maintained 200,000 mile EA82T.

While it may seem expensive or like overkill, I would suggest you make plans to pull the motor and do all the minor and major maintenance to it sometime this year, perhaps even down to proactively replacing the head gaskets. Stick around here on USMB and make some friends, and if you aren't mechanically experienced, you soon will have enough experience and friends here to make that happen easily.

During the summer I tend to commute by bike allot rather than car, so I may well be able to do the tear down. Right now she is pretty crucial to work as we still have snow off and on. I do enjoy tinkering with cars and am not adverse to learning a few things. First thing to do is find a good service manual. Thank you for all the great info. I will be a steady lurker from here on out:)

• 5 months later...