Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Window Replacement

So I think I may have finally found a replacement for my Loyal(e) Subie. Hopefully, at least... things are going rather well so far.

If things work out, though, I'm going to need to replace the driver's side rearmost window in it. The vehicle itself is an EA82 wagon. I should find out the year tomorrow. I've got a good replacement window in my Loyale right now. I did a few searches on window replacement, but most of them seemed to concentrate on the windshield. So I figured I'd throw out these questions:

1. The wagon should be late '80's... will the body style be close enough to my Loyale to swap that rear window into it?

2. Is the recommended removal procedure the same as a windshield? I.E.: run a strip of small strong wire through the rubber "gasket", attach handles to both ends, and "cut" through the "gasket" all the way around the window?

3. If I use the above method, where can I pick up a replacement "gasket"? I tried searching around on a few automotive parts stores online, to no avail.

4. What's the easiest way to get it back in there, without calling the glass tech's? I'm stubborn, this car's gonna be my baby, and I hate to have someone else working on it.

Thanks once again, and cross your fingers for luck for me, if'n you don't mind :D

The window may or may not be the same... I dont know if the glass is physically the same or not, but the mounting system on the rear windows and rear liftgate too I think change in 1990. So a 1990+ Loyale and an 85-89 GL will have different mounting styles (one easy to notice example is the GL's and their black D pillar. Loyales are body color)

Loyale glass and DL/Gl gass is diferent and the install methods are dissimilar also. The removal of glass from a "glued-in" application is best done with a utility knife from both inside the car (cutting closely next to the glass and pinchweld) and then from the outside along the edge of the glass. The old wire method may work but a heated wire next to a piece of tempered glass will cause it to explode.

The Dl/Gl glass may very well be rubber set (I don't rightly recall) but even if not so, you shouldn't be battlingthrough urethane - only butyl.

I replaced the rear quarter window in my 87 GL. Removing the old

(shattered) glass an gluing in the new was a real pain. I am thinking the rear glass on a Loyal is a gasket type (at least it is on my 93), so you may want to double check the fit of the glass from an older donor.

Good luck,

Chris

don't worry the car is a 90+ loyale.. says loyale on the side trim behind the rear tires.. :) i didn't bother lookin at the year.. loyale is a loyale, and it has what i need..

so you window is the same :) gets better everyday huh? :D all we gotta do is get it into your driveway, lol.. and you'll have a soob for quite awhile.. i estimate if you left the current rust alone, you'd get a good 5-10 years outa the body.. if you wounded it you'd get 10 no prob..

So the window is the same... life is good (got your PM before I checked this thread, Meeky Moose).

I love the sound of that rust, or lack thereof. Finally, I'll have a car that I can get ahead of the rust for a while... at least feel like I'm doing something to combat it, at least (gotta order some POR-15, too). By the way... was that 5-10 years VA rust, or 5-10 years NY rust? :D. Seems to occur almost overnight here...

Ok... went out and took a good look at my Loyale, in the dark, took a few pictures... and came to the conclusion that I have absolutely no clue whether it's glued in or rubberset.

Judging from northguy's post, though, I'm gonna guess that that the Loyale glass is tempered. At which point it's probably glued in, right?

At that point, then, I'd want to cut the glass out, using northguy's utility knife technique. At which point I find a source for the new "moulding" (I heard somebody mention JC Whitney before), and install it in the new Loyale.

That sound right?

I fully understand what you mean by not letting others work on your rig. But...that being said. When it comes to glass I leave that to the guys that do that everyday. They have the tools and experience. It will cost a little more to do it once than the money you'll save.

Just my .02.