Ultimate Subaru Message Board

what is this thing and what does it do?

hi,

its a vacuum line solonoid valve, the end of the line that broke is electrically controlled by it, i think this one just dumps to atmosphere under the black cap. i think you can plug the end of the hose and be ok, as it is you have a open hose end. replace it if you can get a good used one, they are about 150. from subaru and most aftermarket is not much better.

some of them have 2 of these, one is an egr solenoid.. are you getting a check engine light with it off? if so check the code and see what it says. i have a brand new one in the box from subaru. he's right theyre like 150 bux. if the one i have is the same as this one, id sell mine for 75 shipped... i no longer have the car i bought it for... the part number i have is subaru 14774AA141 looks the same, just an updated mounting bracket

Edited by themoneypit

well the car isn't running at the moment.. so i don't know if the light is on or not.. the only light that has been on is the EGR even though i've replaced that. i just did a headgasket job and finally got it running till the battery died. just got a battery today but since i've broken off the nipples for the 2 hoses that connect to this solenoid, it doesnt want to start up.. so i'm guessing this might be why it doesn't want to start? or i have another problem on my hands.

I'm going to go look around some junk yards tomorrow and hopefully find one, replace it and hope she fires up.

thanks for all your help. i managed to find a good used one!

i'm not sure why though, but when i went to start my car today, it fired right up! yesterday it wouldn't start at all... but right now its running rough.... so im going to check the timing and disty right now. its a good thing there are about a billion posts about ea82's timing on usmb! haha :grin:

kartier