Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can I really prevent rust by....

yeah, they trap salt/sand and dirt in between the rubber strip, on both sides, and how it is swedged onto the fender rib.

If you take them off, and put some good wax on there inside and upper side of the fender lip, and leave them off, it will help prevent rust

IMO it is worse leaving them off as rocks then CHIP the paint off and it rusts. So what I do is remove the rubber part, clean the metal lip, then wash the rubber part with soap and water. Then I use this rust proofing spray that is very sticky and spray teh inside lip of the rubber with it then put it back in place and the oil will spill out and coat the metal nicely and make a very good seal so pretty much no debree gets between the rubber and metal for a while. I do it as often as I feel I should.

removing the weather strips above the tires? I have seen a lot of subarus with rust on rear quart panel wheel arc next to the rear bumper:eek:

I removed mine! Don't see any advantage to keep those strips of rubber......they don't seal well

• 2 years later...