Ultimate Subaru Message Board

What are my options? (windshield/rear window seal)

Just found out that my windshield leaks like all hell and the rear window is seeping/leaking as well. I saw a thread about the rear window seals and some guy in Australia and i emailed him but have heard nothing in return so far. It seems that i might be able to get the rear window seal but what should i do if he doesnt have the front window seal. Something tells me that seal/window is coupe specific too or am i wrong and any EA81 windshield seal work?

Edited by hatchsub

I think it may be coupe specific. Check with the dealer - I know they can still get the EA81 windsheild gaskets for the wagon's, etc.

If that doesn't pan out I would talk to the most reputable glass shop in your area. There are options if the seal isn't availible anymore - they can "float" the glass in like newer cars are done and if they know what they are doing they should be able to make it look decent and replace the chrome strips over the tops of the hot urethane.

GD

I think it may be coupe specific. Check with the dealer - I know they can still get the EA81 windsheild gaskets for the wagon's, etc.

If that doesn't pan out I would talk to the most reputable glass shop in your area. There are options if the seal isn't availible anymore - they can "float" the glass in like newer cars are done and if they know what they are doing they should be able to make it look decent and replace the chrome strips over the tops of the hot urethane.

GD

I had talked to a glass place that had done my camaro windshield awhile back and they said something about not being able to do it that way since there was not enough overhang of the glass on the body for it to seal or be safe enough. They said there might be an 1/8 of an inch at best and they need more than that. Not sure if that was just them saying that cause they didnt feel like custom stuff or what.

Oh and John checked the computers and the dealers say they are obsolete so it must be a different windshield. Go figure i can get the glass but not the seal.

Talk to another shop. Flowmaster87GL (Mike) had one done that way on a Brat - the frame was too rusty to try replacing the seal (came from a beach-side town) - they floated it in and while it wasn't the prettiest job ever (they were sloppy with the urethane), it was solid and didn't leak. So it can and has been done - you just have to find someone willing I suspect.

GD

I just emailed another person on ebay selling repo brat window gaskets. Maybe they can shed some light on this and help me out. Sounds like there are options out there though so that gives me hope. I was beginning to think i might have to find another car just cause of a damn leaky windshield...which would be retarded since the rest of the car is pretty minty.

If nothing else, you can remove the windsheild, weld a 1/2" strip to the exsiting pinch-weld on the body (using your mad welding skills and your pimp gas-shielded setup :)) and then they will have plenty of overhang to float it on top of.

GD

HAHAHAHA we will call that the very last straw. If i were to do that i would have to space the welds around a good amount to keep from warping the roof.

Well got an email back from the person i asked on ebay last night. hes got a brat front window gasket on ebay but says it wont fit the coupe (kinda figured). Im going to keep looking and worst comes to worst im going to have a place glue it directly to the body.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Hatchsub,

Try doing a search on eBay for 'Leone GFT'. There's an outfit with an eBay store out of Brisbane, Australia that has a couple of aftermarket EA81 coupe gaskets. The car was marketed down there as the Leone GFT, hence the search. The eBay store is: MAZDA PHILS ROTARY PRODUCTS RUBBER. (Sorry, not yelling, the all-caps is their store's name:)).

I had to have the windshield replaced on the car to safety it in Canada when I brought it up here in 2006, but the only gaskets available were aftermarket brat/wagon/hatch gaskets that fit the narrower window trim used on those cars. I had one of those gaskets installed (not like I had a choice, if I wanted to drive the car), but it just didn't look right and I couldn't reinstall the original wide coupe windshield trim.

Found this listing on eBay last spring, and ordered two of these gaskets. Shipping was quick, and they fit the coupe's wide stainless steel windshield trim. The fit was perfect, and the car looks great with the original trim back in place.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

--wd

• 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Hi Hatchsub,

Try doing a search on eBay for 'Leone GFT'. There's an outfit with an eBay store out of Brisbane, Australia that has a couple of aftermarket EA81 coupe gaskets. The car was marketed down there as the Leone GFT, hence the search. The eBay store is: MAZDA PHILS ROTARY PRODUCTS RUBBER. (Sorry, not yelling, the all-caps is their store's name:)).

I had to have the windshield replaced on the car to safety it in Canada when I brought it up here in 2006, but the only gaskets available were aftermarket brat/wagon/hatch gaskets that fit the narrower window trim used on those cars. I had one of those gaskets installed (not like I had a choice, if I wanted to drive the car), but it just didn't look right and I couldn't reinstall the original wide coupe windshield trim. 

Found this listing on eBay last spring, and ordered two of these gaskets. Shipping was quick, and they fit the coupe's wide stainless steel windshield trim. The fit was perfect, and the car looks great with the original trim back in place.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out for you.

--wd 

Hi Wolfdog,

I'm searching for windscreen rubber too. What model and which year of manufactured? I wonder these rubbers able to fit my car, which marketed at my country as 1800 GLF.