Ultimate Subaru Message Board

So. California EA82 Wheeler

JacksonRally

• 3 weeks later...

When I first got this car I replaced all of the o rings in the rack but it seemed to still leak. Now that the car is apart again I figured I would tackle the rack again. I pulled it out and put it on the table then for some reason I decided to compare it to an Impreza rack that a customer brought in and surprisingly the way they mounted looked similar. Everything else on the Impreza rack is way beefier. So 2 hours later I modified the engine crossmember enough to fit an 02 WRX steering rack!! :headbang: I still have to clean up the enlarged hole but will take pics tomorrow.

After dealing with the rack I decided to pull the trans to clean up the engine bay/firewall. After a few torn cv boots there is a nice layer of smudge that needs to be cleaned. So I drained the trans fluid and was just about to put the drain plug back in when I noticed something metal about to fall through the hole.....I pulled out an entire dipstick :eek: I thought somehow mine had busted off of the handle and fell down but nope, seems that at some point someone broke it off and left it in the trans. Ill just keep on keepin on cause Ive been driving it around for a year and a half like that.

Im hoping to get an xt6 clutch real soon then the motor and trans can go back in!

It might be a little tough to see but here is where i welded in a piece of strap to keep the trans mount from moving after the rubber was torn.

PICT0909.jpg

Here is the GL rack

PICT0918.jpg

Here is the WRX rack

PICT0917.jpg

Here is the rough cut to get WRX rack to fit

PICT0911.jpg

PICT0912.jpg

Finished trimming

PICT0922.jpg

Installed

PICT0923.jpg

PICT0924.jpg

PICT0925.jpg

And heres a shot of the cut core support (trying to get 01 radiator and ac condenser to fit)

PICT0910.jpg

Plus, the EJ power steering lines will fit with zero modifications. It looks like you'd have bend the hard lines on the EA rack to get a good fitment.

So after widening the input shaft hole, did the rack just bolt right up? I can't remember how the EA rack attaches, but I seem to recall that they're different.

Edited by kanurys

True. If you're going to the trouble to replace the rack, worth it to upgrade. How much did you get the WRX rack for?

Free :D I work on Subies all day building rally cars and what ever else someone wants to turn their Subaru into, plus my buddy has a Subaru shop in town where he does any and everything mechanical so we aquire a ton of newer parts. It was pretty much just lying around.

Plus, the EJ power steering lines will fit with zero modifications. It looks like you'd have bend the hard lines on the EA rack to get a good fitment.

So after widening the input shaft hole, did the rack just bolt right up? I can't remember how the EA rack attaches, but I seem to recall that they're different.

In this pic you might be able to see where I had to cut 2 lines.

PICT0925.jpg

These are the lines that would bolt right up to the EJ p/s lines. I had to cut these down because the fitment was a little off with the EA crossmember as they come up behind the pass side and the EA used to cross the front and end up at pass side. Im thinking I will try to re-flare these lines. I am already planning on re-making the lines that come right off the pump.

Otherwise fitment is direct bolt on! Pretty sure any Impreza/WRX/STI rack will work up to 2004. In 2005 the crossmember changed and so did the rack mounting.

Interesting. I have a rack from the 99 impreza that I parted which I would like to try this with. I've been reading on THIS thread that you have to tap the EJ inner tie-rods down a little further and maybe cut the end off a little to retain toe adjustability durring alignment. I asked for a little clarification on that and Gloyale said everything worked out easily without cutting more threads on the inner tie-rods. That is nice to hear.

Interesting. I have a rack from the 99 impreza that I parted which I would like to try this with. I've been reading on THIS thread that you have to tap the EJ inner tie-rods down a little further and maybe cut the end off a little to retain toe adjustability durring alignment. I asked for a little clarification on that and Gloyale said everything worked out easily without cutting more threads on the inner tie-rods. That is nice to hear.

EA82 works great

Putting an EJ rack into an EA81 you need to cutshorter, and extend threads.

Sweet, a spare dip stick:-\

Would you be so kind as to take some pictures and describe the modifications to get the impreza rack to fit? I think the rest of us would be interested. Thanks, again.

When I first got this car I replaced all of the o rings in the rack but it seemed to still leak. Now that the car is apart again I figured I would tackle the rack again. I pulled it out and put it on the table then for some reason I decided to compare it to an Impreza rack that a customer brought in and surprisingly the way they mounted looked similar. Everything else on the Impreza rack is way beefier.

FWIW, I'm told a WRX or other IMP-based rack will swap into a gen 2 legacy as well. I say this as I'm interested. My [used] LGT rack swap (about a year old, give or take) in my lifted 95 leggo is leaking as bad as the stocker was when I swapped it out. I was thinking of resealing, but who does that...

Anyhoo, I know an EA82 wagon isn't a gen 2 legacy, but maybe with respect to a WRX rack, it's close enough :D

props for the WRX rack swap!!

• 2 months later...

I'm on the same schedule. I decided to use the stock EA82 clutch that I have. It has 3000 miles on it and when it burns out or if I have problems, I'll replace it with the XT6.

I budgeted for one, but the company I ordered it through told me that EXEDY recalled them for pressure plate failure. The redesign might be out, already... anyone know anything on this?

• 2 weeks later...
************ yeah!

your builds never cease to amaze, always top notch work, and that's coming from someone who builds purpose built spec miata's for a living.

any other details you care to spill about that fozzy??

Start another thread!!!!! I'm interested in this too.

Also, what's next for the GL?

Back to the topic at hand :D

GL update

I pulled all of the factory brakelines out of the engine bay. Got rid of the hill holder that I disconnected anyways. I resprayed the booster and got a master cylinder out of a newer Legacy. Now I am making new stainless hardlines.

Here are the lines out of the master to the rear lines.

PICT0921.jpg

PICT0922-2.jpg

New muffler, 2.25'' in 2.25'' out

PICT0924-1.jpg

And finally the start to my suspension rebuild. Fox 2.0, 10'' stroke coilovers for the rear. They dont exactly fit or bolt on but they will :Flame:

PICT0923-2.jpg